Started pool - filter pressure remains too high

Splinters

Apr 16, 2014
Northern Virginia
Two weeks ago I fired up the pool like I've always done. Got most of the leaves out with the net to the point where I could run the robot. I typically do not add DE right at opening because I know that I'm going to pull the grids and hose them off after the water looks clean. Filter gauge was showing about 20 psi at start up which is normal. Yesterday the pool is clean and looking good and the grid pressure is reading 34 psi so it's time to pull the grids. I do so and hose off some really foul smelling worm remains, clean out the strainer basket and reinstall the grids (which looked pretty good). Pressure goes right back up to 30 - 32 psi.

I've done this before and never had an issue getting the pressure back into the low 20's. So I yanked the grids again and hosed them off more thoroughly with a better hose fitting. Reinstalled the grids and get the same thing. What am I doing wrong?

One likely possibility is that the gauge is broken. Check the return pressure and see if the return jet feels as strong as usual, if so it is probably a bad gauge.

Another possibility, less likely but basically what jblizzle is saying, is that the grids have gotten too much debris stuck in them that won't hose off. This can usually be fixed by soaking them overnight in a solution of one cup of automatic dishwasher detergent for every five gallons of water.

Yet another possibility is that some valve on the return side is closed when it should be open, blocking water flow. The returns will be weaker than usual if this is the case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.