Under cover Clouds

Johnny-M

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Altoona, Pa
It is early spring in PA and I was planning to open the pool in a couple of weeks as normal. I pulled a corner of the cover back this afternoon expecting the normal crystal clear freezing water but I have cloudy cold water instead. I can still see the bottom of deep end. So I put in a small submersible pump to circulate the water and dumped three gallons of bleach around the pool. Should I plan for an early opening or continue to monitor? Not sure if I am glad or upset I looked at it this early. Ignorance does have some good qualities.

At this point, you shouldn't have a hard freeze, so I would go ahead and open the pool, rather than trying half way measures with the pool mostly closed. If there is a significant problem (not clear) it will be easier to deal with while the water is still cold.

Thanks Jason
I just went out to check the water temp and it is a lovely 46 degrees in the deep end and 50 degrees at the surface. I had leaves and debris on my cover that I cleaned off and it is beginning to dry off. There is more water in the pool this year than my previous water levels when I opened. not sure if that is causing the cloudiness since the water is so cold. I can't open this thing until next week. As I am out of town until Monday. Usually open every year the last week of April. But I will follow your advice and open as soon as I get time.
Johnny

Don't forget to check the pH too. Mine had gone way up over the winter. Only good thing is like yours mine is cloudy but not green.

Yeah I was getting concerned. but was glad that the chlorine reading turned out the way it did. I will check pH when I get a chance.with the water being as cold as it isI didn't think it could be algae but wasn't sure.

I'd get the cover off as soon as you get home n start her up. I've had my pool open since April 6th.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.