First season with pool

It's nice having a good test kit.

FC 9.5
CC 1.5

Only testing chlorine at this point. I've added CYA so I'm basing ratio on 30ppm CYA. Bumped chlorine back up to 12.

Isn't it NICE know what is actually going on? I agree, it's great. :goodjob:

When I went to bed:
FC 14
CC 1.5

0700hrs:
FC 12
CC 1.5

Still losing overnight, but Just stay on it, and it will come around for you. Good work.

LOL! It will end! It takes longer than a day or two to clear the water after you kill all the algae. It will not clear until after you kill all the algae. It looks like your chlorine consumption is slowing down. Does it look better? Is it starting to clear up?

This is just your pools way of saying don't let this happen to me again! :)

So I decided to just get in the pool to see if I have missed a pile of leafs or alage on the bottom. Since I can't see the bottom, this seemed like s good idea to me. Well, it was really cold, but turned out well. Did not notice any leafs or alage spots. Gave it a good scrubbing while I was in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I'm not liking that the CYA test is subjective. My wife is legally blind without her glasses and I have great sight. So her and I would have different readings as I would see the dot longer than her. So how gone does the dot have to be gone before taking the reading?

I'm still not confident what my CYA level is. Just tested outside and dot is initially gone at 60, however if I look away and back I'm able to see it again. So I put more test liquid in and it's gone around 50. Of course look away then back, now I can slightly make it out again. Should I just go with 60 then? Was setting FC at 12 and rechecking every two hours. Moved up to 16 and now 18 just to be sure I'm at SLAM level.

I started SLAM before having test. Went off pool store reading which said my CYA was 2. I only put in 4 pounds of CYA so I'm not sure how I could be at 60. I'm assuming their electronic test is at least accurate enough to know difference between 2 and 20 at least. If I started at 20, my 4 pounds would put me at 50. However, I have also vacuumed to waste a couple time and have had to fill pool back up. So I should be lower than 50?

I suppose I just need POP. I would just like to be sure I'm maintaing FC high enough to not be wasting chlorine and time.

Steve,
I didnt read your whole story, so would just be quicker for me to type this out, than look back through... regardign CYA testing.
Water temp should be above 65F. If it isnt, take in inside and let it warm up a bit.

When testing, test outdoors in natural light. Turn your back to the sun. It seems to be easier to see when the dot is really gone if you hold the test tube at waist level while filling the test tube.

Everyone has trouble with this test.. even us who have tested it lots.

For further confirmation, after you have squirted the solution in the tube, then pour it back in the bottle and do it again... a few times... and take your best "average" as the CYA level. If in doubt, use the higher number so you are sure to have FC level high enough.

I'm still not confident what my CYA level is. Just tested outside and dot is initially gone at 60, however if I look away and back I'm able to see it again. So I put more test liquid in and it's gone around 50. Of course look away then back, now I can slightly make it out again. Should I just go with 60 then? Was setting FC at 12 and rechecking every two hours. Moved up to 16 and now 18 just to be sure I'm at SLAM level.

I started SLAM before having test. Went off pool store reading which said my CYA was 2. I only put in 4 pounds of CYA so I'm not sure how I could be at 60. I'm assuming their electronic test is at least accurate enough to know difference between 2 and 20 at least. If I started at 20, my 4 pounds would put me at 50. However, I have also vacuumed to waste a couple time and have had to fill pool back up. So I should be lower than 50?

I suppose I just need POP. I would just like to be sure I'm maintaing FC high enough to not be wasting chlorine and time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.