Bio Active Cyanuric Acid reducer review

When did you do the actual 3:1 diluted test? From what I was told the product is most effective within the first 72 hours. Your level could have been higher when you put the product in and it brought it down to 200 by the time you did the dilution test. If you have easy access to the product it might be worth trying a second bag now that you have a solid baseline to work with?

If I'm going to spend $60 on another bag of Bio-Active (local pool prices) I might as well spend $60 on water. I did my own diluted test three days later. Yes I should have done my own diluted testing prior to using Bio-Active, but if I go off of the pool store results, there has been zero change in CYA reduction. And today, another personal test result shows no change.

If I'm going to spend $60 on another bag of Bio-Active (local pool prices) I might as well spend $60 on water. I did my own diluted test three days later. Yes I should have done my own diluted testing prior to using Bio-Active, but if I go off of the pool store results, there has been zero change in CYA reduction. And today, another personal test result shows no change.

I have a feeling this is going to be a common story. If the CYA starts very high, it is going to take multiple bags to hopefully get it down where you want it. It is almost certainly going to be cheaper to replace the water for most people.

I have a feeling this is going to be a common story. If the CYA starts very high, it is going to take multiple bags to hopefully get it down where you want it. It is almost certainly going to be cheaper to replace the water for most people.

I think so as well. My CYA is 120, I'm hoping 1 treatment will get it down to at least 60 (half)

It sounded like Huegeneo reduced is quite a bit on the first treatment.

each partial drain/refill (just below returns) costs me $ 97 each (ouch) I've done three already (when cya was 300+...pool store said 50 haha)
but if this stuff works and gets me to a nominal level for $ 59 it is worth it.

For me they were $60 a piece. No where local sells them so I have only been able to find online at LPS. They advertise to use one bag per 150 ppm of cya. They have sample results on the back from their "tests" that show anywhere from about 50-90 ppm reduction. But each one of theirs started with 150 ppm.

For me, each partial refill is $150 so this is a better option, if it continues to work.

Looking forward to brojis' test as his starting level is lower than the rest of us.

$60 +/- on something that might work, whatever other side effects, and waiting 7+ days.....or $x on a sure thing pumping some water out and refilling, and being done and over with in a day or two. Understanding there are unusual circumstances for needing it, but in most cases sounds like drain/refill is easiest way still. Hope it works out, but product doesn't seem to be reliable yet. :rant:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 10: Today is my final day of reviewing this product. My CYA levels did not show any improvement. I did pool store testing and personal testing and was within the recommended water parameters for the application of this product. Today, my personal test show CYA at 200ppm and the pool store shows it at 150ppm.

This did not work for me. $60 could have been spent on the cost of replacing water. Pool is getting drained and refilled this weekend. Good luck to others who purchase Bio-Active Cyanuric Acid reducer.

I suggest you contact the manufacturer (this link) and let them know your experience. We've had others do that with the CuLator product and the manufacturer was very responsive. They might figure out what is wrong and get it to work for you, they might give you more product for free, or they might refund your money.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Another test for [/FONT]Bio-Active Cyanuric Acid Reducer[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
Given the drought in California, changing water is not an option. So I decided to give Bio-active a try.
I am testing CYA both with test strip and the black dot method. CYA initial reading is at 100.
I dropped Chlorine to FC: 0.5, CC:1 and used an 8 oz pack ($60)
Will report how CYA progresses over the next 10 days.

[/FONT]

Day 10: Today is my final day of reviewing this product. My CYA levels did not show any improvement. I did pool store testing and personal testing and was within the recommended water parameters for the application of this product. Today, my personal test show CYA at 200ppm and the pool store shows it at 150ppm. This did not work for me. $60 could have been spent on the cost of replacing water. Pool is getting drained and refilled this weekend. Good luck to others who purchase Bio-Active Cyanuric Acid reducer.

I have a friend who used 2 bags of the Bio-Active Reducer. It appears she had "No Success" either. Her CYA results, based on pool store testing where all over the place. (They actually kept going up). Goes to show you how inaccurate PB testing really is.

Since then, she purchased the TF-100 Test Kit, but still has not successfully cleared the pool up. The PB closed the pool for the season, so I am hoping I can get her to open the pool up early spring, and quickly clean it up before the weather breaks. If the product did work, based on my testing with my TF-100 Kit (CYA of 180), her CYA would have been over 300 ppm, given her pool size. The pool store claims she did not follow the directions and refused to help (How convenient!).

Day 5 - CYA still at 100 - no change.
So far you are having the same results as most. There appears to be a specific set of conditions which must be met for this to work, but as of yet those specific conditions have not been identified.

As such we generally do not recommend this product.

The only sure fire way to reduce CYA without replacing water is reverse osmosis. You may want to check with companies in your area to see if they provide this service.

Maybe the product was created in a controlled environment (just like lab rats). Most people will not complain or pursue any other actions once they purchase a product, so the company is always ahead, even if they have to send out a new box to 25% of its customers. Eventually, there will be enough evidence out there to support that this product is really not the best way to reduce your CYA in any given condition. As always, people will overlook information and still continue to purchase the product.

If pool stores recommend a combination of tri-chlor, cal-hypo and liquid chlorine, with backwashing and possibly some water replacement during the year (which in turn would lower salt and TDS), most people would not run into this problem. Then again, most store employees do not even own a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.