Can I use an in-ground heater for an above-ground pool?

Mar 30, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm in the process of buying my first pool (just ordered today, in fact!) and I'm looking at heaters. I'm interested in this Raypak heater:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Raypak-009216-Digital-Natural-Gas-200000-BTU-Pool-Heater/009216.htm

It's 200,000 BTUs, but the price is still within my budget. The website lists this as being for in-ground pools though. Can I use it on my above-ground pool as well? Is there a difference in the way IG and AG heaters are configured?

If this one won't work, can anyone recommend another heater brand or model that might be work nicely with the pool in the same price range or less?

PS - New pool is a 24 ft round with a 54" wall (about 15,000 gallons). Thanks!

There is no difference between in- and above-ground heaters that I can think of.
You may need to run on high to have enough water flow for the heater, but maybe not.

Thank you!

One last question... do you think 200,000 BTU's is too small for a 24' x 54" round? Now I'm reading through other threads and see people saying to go ahead and splurge for the 400,000 BTU unit since it will heat up the pool faster...

200,000 BTU is large enough, but 400,000 BTU will heat the pool from cold in half the time. I recommend the larger heater if you are planning to heat the pool for things like a specific day or weekend. If you are maintaining temperature for weeks at a time it doesn't really make any difference.

The larger heater requires a fairly high flow rate and you will want to use rigid PVC rather than hose between the heater output and the pool. PVC is recommended for the smaller heater, but is less critical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.