New build in NE Mississippi

mraz

Apr 8, 2015
Caledonia, MS
Hello to All,

My family and I are currently winding down construction of our new house and are going to add a pool. We have previously owned a house with a 16x32 vinyl liner pool, but we are considering a fiberglass pool based on the low maintenance and recommendations from a couple of friends who have them. We got a quote from Tallman Pools on the Centennial model, a 16x38, 6' deep rectangular model for $30k, which includes the shell (with the "diamond tech" color), delivery, installation, 1HP 2-speed SuperFlo pump, 420 sq ft clean and clear filter, easy touch salt system, cantilever deck forms, 1 skimmer, 2 returns, 2 main drains, and 1 supply for a pool cleaner to be named later. We are in the process of soliciting quotes for the excavation right now.

My main questions at this point are:
The typical install is 1.5" returns and 2" suction. Should this be increased, and, if so, to what?
Recommendations on a cleaner? I have had a Polaris (360) in the past, and it worked okay when it was tuned up. I have heard the 380 w/ booster is better, but I am open to suggestions. Tallman is recommending a Pentair cleaner.
Is the standard 1 skimmer, 2 returns, 2 main drains enough?
Is the 420 sq ft clean and clear a good choice, or is there any benefit to going up to the clean and clear plus?
Is the easy touch system overkill for a simple pool without any "options"? Would I be better off to go with a basic Intermatic timer and the basic IC power station
Any other recommendations or comments are certainly welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

- Those plumbing sizes should be fine since you will not have a need for high flow rates. Ideally the skimmer and floor are plumbed to the pump separately. You could bump the return line up to a 2" to lower some head loss ... and use 2" for all the pad connections.

- I don't really care for boosted pressure cleaners as having to run 2 pumps to clean the pool is a waste of electricity. You could get a suction cleaner (like the PoolCleaner) or go with an electric robot.

- 1 skimmer + drain + 2 returns is certainly sufficient. You want the skimmer to be on the downwind side of the pool.

- That filter is plenty big and a fine choice.

- Automation is completely optional. All it would do for you is allow the pump to automatically switch speeds ... which you could do with simple timers. And really, you would normally be running on low speed all the time except for vacuuming.

Given the few horror stories I have seen with fiberglass pool installs on the forum ... I am leery of them. If you have a good installer it should be fine.

What makes you think that a fiberglass pool is "lower maintenance"? The chemistry is the same for all pools.

Really for that price I would think you should be able to get a gunite / plaster pool that will ultimately last longer.

Welcome to TFP!

As long as you are running each fixture all the way back to the equipment pad with it's own pipe, 1.5" returns and 2" suction is just fine.
1 skimmer, 2 returns, 2 main drains is just fine. There is a trend to have more returns, but two are plenty.
The 430 sqft C&C is a Plus, there isn't a plain C&C of that size.
Without a spa or water feature, EasyTouch is a bit much, unless you like to control your landscaping lights or something similar. Removing the EasyTouch would save some money without imposing any noticeable restrictions, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

I have read a couple of the horror stories of fiberglass installations gone wrong as well, but Tallman has been highly recommended to me, and they will do the installs themselves within a certain radius of their factory. So far, they have been very helpful during the investigative stages. As for the lower maintenance comment, I am mainly thinking about the periodic replacement of vinyl liners or plaster in a gunite pool. I haven't actually priced a gunite pool, but I only know one person who even has one. They are just not widely available in our area. I could probably get somebody out of Memphis or Birmingham to put one in. Probably 99% of what's in our area is vinyl. It would certainly be more economical up front, but there's no telling how many liners we would go through during the life of the fiberglass shell, assuming it is installed correctly.

Thanks for your comments,

Charlie

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Given the few horror stories I have seen with fiberglass pool installs on the forum ... I am leery of them. If you have a good installer it should be fine.

What makes you think that a fiberglass pool is "lower maintenance"? The chemistry is the same for all pools.

Really for that price I would think you should be able to get a gunite / plaster pool that will ultimately last longer.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to ask a couple of follow-up questions: When you say run each fixture back to the equipment pad, do you literally mean each return jet separately? If so, I assume they would share a valve, or is there any reason why I would want to close one and not the other? The separate skimmer and main drain makes sense, and I am leaning towards thePoolCleaner, which would get a dedicated suction line as well.

I am also leaning towards keeping the EasyTouch. That way I can have the cleaner run for a bit when noobdy's home or bump up the speed for better skimming for a period of time, etc. I would need to be able to actuate the main drain, skimmer, and cleaner valves (main drain-skimmer could be a three-way?) and operate the 2-speed pump, plus the salt system and optionally the pool light. We are also thinking about putting in a heat pump down the line. Is there anything in particular I need to look for in the EasyTouch to be able to accommodate these pieces of equipment? There seems to be quite a range of units available, and I want to make sure we get the right one.

Thanks for your help so far.

Charlie

Hello Charlie- We installed a Tallman pool 2 year ago, I did the assisted program where I contracted the excavation, electrical, pool deck. Tallman was awesome through the entire process and has been very responsive since then whenever I have had a question. for automatic pool cleaning I went with a Pentai Kreepy Krauly 4 wheel pressure side, you just move the leaver to AUTO CLEANER and it directs all the water to that one return, it works OK and sometimes surprises me with how much it picks up, but the wheel does not rotate at the suggested RPM from Pentair, the 1HP pump just isn't enough to push it. I am considering a booster or a robotic one that doesn't require water, this way I could still run the skimmer while the floor is being cleaned. EasyTouch is great, it controls the pump and pool lights, I am adding a transformer and breaker for landscape lighting, the EasyTouch is a 4, think it is expandable up to 8, so right now I have 4 different controls (pump, lights, landscape lights, 1 left over maybe irrigation one day). Think I gave you more than you asked for, let me know if you have any questions. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.