Chlorine reading Taylor vs. Pool Store

Mar 30, 2015
Orlando, FL
I just had my pool refinished (plaster) a week ago, and have been following the directions provided by the contractor. I've done some reading on this forum and have plans on what I'd like to do longer term, but immediately i'm just following the instructions. I purchased a Taylor test kit, and have been trying to compare the Pool Store values to mine (mostly to assure I"m reading things correctly). For the past two days, I've tested my Free Chlorine and have gotten 25ppm. I have a chlorinator (3"tabs) turned all the way up and have been running the pump 24/7 so this wasn't really a big surprise to me. I figured I'd get the reading confirmed at the pool store, and then crank the setting down as well as set my timer on the pool pump to around 10 hours a day, and then adjust the chlorinator as needed over the next few days.

The trouble is the pool store has given be a reading of 5ppm twice while my test provided the much higher value. I'm concerned that maybe I'm doing something wrong in my tests (though I believe I"ve followed the directions correctly).

Current readings: Pool Store Me
FC- 5ppm 25ppm
CC - 0ppm 1ppm
PH 7.6 7.6
TA - 130ppm 120ppm
Cal H- 200ppm 200ppm
CYA- 40ppm 60ppm

To test the chlorine, I used the 10ml line, counted the number of drops and multiplied by .5ppm to come up with 25ppm (50 drops).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or is it common to have such a large swing between the Taylor test, and whatever the pool stores use?

Thanks all

Welcome to TFP!

Most pool stores use a chlorine test that is limited to a maximum reading of 5 ppm. That appears to be what is going on here.

Always trust your own results over pool store results. Even a complete novice with a FAS-DPD chlorine test is more reliable than 90% of pool stores.

Looks like you've gotten the answers to your Q's...So I'll just drop in to say "Welcome to the forum."

Looks like it's about time to D/C use of the pucks and get on the liquid bandwagon.

Thanks All! I've been reading quite a bit on this site and appreciate all the great info and advice. I'll work toward migrating to liquid chlorine in the coming weeks. My next task is replacing my filter/pump (on my own) so I'll likely be looking to the knowledgeable folks on this forum for direction there as well!
Thanks again for your help and very quick responses!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.