What did you do to your pool today?

Leebo, we gonna get a tutorial about this heat pump and installation process? some of us (ie me) that would love step by step with pictures could really, really use that information for the good of our own pool! :sun:

It really was more straight forward than I feared it would be. The most difficult item was doing all the electrical work, however a family member is an electrician so we personally got that item covered. He made all the connections while we did all the conduit and PVC work. As per the PVC work.....all that was required here was connecting two pipes, one for water in and one for water out. All the rest came setup internally. The entire unit itself just sits on four rubber blocks to reduce noise and is anchored into the ground by 4 metal straps, which we still need to drill for and install.

I'd like to hear about how much your heating costs you when you get the next bill? I'm considering a little heat to extend my swim season

I too am interested in this. We are rather lucky here as our energy rates are VERY low so even with the unit fighting the colder weather we're still in a good spot. I'll post back once we get some numbers.

Leebo, I don't wanna jinx my old gas heater which still operates like a champ, but I am very curious to hear how the heat pump performs in a similar clime for future reference...(eg id like to retire one day and still have a therapeutically warm pool) so please be sure to keep 'er at about 88 til Oct 15th for me, will ya? ;)
Oh, and can we pay you to fire it up about May 1st in the name of science? ;)

We built out a second studio/office on our property last year and installed a Fujitsu heat pump rated for -15 F in a 1300 SF space and have been suitably impressed with its performance...truly a fraction of the cost of our boiler that runs the rest of the property.

So a heat pump in our always-heated-24/7-pool might pay for itself in a very short time despite ng being relatively cheap in our area!

I lost a bet last night. :( When we kicked on power to the heat pump the water temp was 80.6° and the outside temp was around 80°. The solar cover was put on overnight as temps dropped down to around 55°. Despite the cold, this morning the water temp was just a bit above 85°. I was predicting 84. :(

I've got it set to run 24/7 to maintain 86° just to test it out some this weekend. On Monday I'll post some energy numbers as I wrote down a meter reading when we first turned it on.

I hard piped the pump and return on Tuesday and yesterday one of the unions was dripping when then pump wasn't running so I put some grease on the o-rings and repositioned everything to hopefully stop it once and for all. I also made a fountain that could be added to the return line to cool the water off since its going to be 100 here tomorrow.

Headed out now to run tests on the water and run the pump before anyone else gets up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has really cooled off! Wow! Another 6 weeks n well be closing up shop here.

Tomorrow, I have to top the pool off. Run the filter for a couple hours n add chlorine.

I swam in mine, along with three dogs......

This of course, was after I vacuumed the usual heavy layer of dust off the bottom.

Got my wood burner at least partially working, will need to add more surface area to the heat exchanger. Still, getting full flow from the pump through it, and have a temp rise of ~.5*/hr in the pool.

I need to post pics of the build, so others with a creative bent can maybe improve on it.

Do note that wood fired pool heaters are only cost effective if the burnables are essentially free, with only the cost of your own labor/time. Otherwise, not a good idea.

^Leebo and I will be happy to donate some autumnal night chill to the suffering Texans ;) Come get it, please...!

Please don't donate it to my section of Texas (The 1/3 of an acre I own that is <G>). The hotter the better! :p

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday I added CYA and retested. Adjusted pH slightly. Weeded all around the pool (we have flower and bush surround, not decking). All tied up and back in perfect balance after being gone for 9 days last week.

Today I gazed at it longingly, as I'm not allowed to swim yet due to an inner and middle ear infection gained from trying out scuba diving.

The wife took the Nestea plunge after mowing. Had to trim the grass up so any stray roof nails will how up better (and not in the dogs toes!), when they start the new roof tomorrow.

eqbob - They make earplugs, just for that!! They're more expensive then regular ones but so worth it to get in some much needed pool time. I used to get ear infections all the time. Had tubes in ears when I was younger.

Got a link you could share? I am a total newbie....one testing dive in for 25 minutes, so don't know much and open to learning. Do the ear plugs help your ears adjust to pressure? You can PM me the stuff if you want so we don't hijack the thread.

Go get your own BIG magnet on a stick for your yard. They will use theirs BUT they do miss some. I would walk a pattern going this way THEN walk another pattern going that way.

Even if you only find 1 that will make it worth while.

Kim

Got a link you could share? I am a total newbie....one testing dive in for 25 minutes, so don't know much and open to learning. Do the ear plugs help your ears adjust to pressure? You can PM me the stuff if you want so we don't hijack the thread.

The one's I can remember were called pro plugs or something like that. They had a little bearing that would allow air to move out as needed.

Well today I drained the pool. Actually it is still draining. I told hubby that it was on its last season anyway and the kids have not been behaving to have the privilege of swimming. I won't leave though just because my pool is coming down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support