Opening pool, need tips on my plan of action

Aug 8, 2014
San Jose, CA
Alright guys, time to open the pool. I would love some comments on my plan below. Pool is 10KG in ground vinyl with 1hp return and 120sqft cartridge filter.

- 3 days ago peeked under the cover and saw a green swamp. Dumped 1 gallon of 8.5% chlorine.

- yesterday, water no longer green but very cloudy and dirty. FC zero.

- Today I did some measurements. PH=8.3, FC=0, CYA=0.

Before shutting last November, I generally kept the water at PH 7.6, FC 5, CYA 40. I thought that once CYA is in the water it doesn't go away until you drain? How did the CYA go down to 0?

Next steps:
1. Dissolve CYA to get the level back up to 40.
2. Check PH, if still high use Muriatic to lower to 7.6
3. Start shock at around 16 for a few days until I see minimal overnight loss, then maintain 5.

Advice?

Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits?
Did you test the CC after adding the bleach?

The CYA could have been converted to ammonia which will take a lot of bleach to get rid of.

I would not add CYA until you know if you have ammonia or not.

Lower the pH to the lower 7s. Add enough bleach to hit a FC of 10ppm (with the pump running), test the FC and CC after 30-60 minutes.
If CC are high and the FC is nearly gone, keep dosing back to 10ppm until the FC is not disappearing and the CC drop.
Then add 30ppm of CYA and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.