Backwash returning a small amount of flow to return jet.

Apr 29, 2013
Memphis
Good afternoon all.
I have an odd thing I havent found a thread on yet. On my Hayward sand filter ( S-244T) i am getting this small amount of flow returning to the pool during a backwash. Because I have solid PVC plumbing with unions, I've only checked a few times but I do not believe the multiport is leaking to waste when i am in "filter" mode. I've put in a new spider gasket, seated it with rubber cement (supplied by memphis pool where I bought the gasket) and that did nothing to improve. I went back, they advised I check for cracks and proper seating so i pulled it all apart again and found no cracks and the gasket is in place all the way around and the adhesive is holding it in place. There was a tiny pitted section on my lever assembly where the rotating spring loaded pad engages the rubber spider gasket, so I brought that in and just bought a new entire piece. Just installed it and still, this small amount of flow going back to the pool! What else should I be looking for? I'm so very confused. Thanks!

Kane

- - - Updated - - -

the flow has some pressure too - as you would assume. I'd say it's volume would be about that of a garden hose that is half or less turned on. Consistent and constant flow.

I have often seen it suggested to use cement to hold the spider gasket in-place ... and then of course a lube on the upper surface to help the valve spin.

Of course I am not sure how much that helps ... sure makes it a pain to remove and replace in the future.

There is really no other way for the water to go. The multi-valve directs all the water, so if you are getting water out 2 of the outlets (to pool and to backwash) it must be something in the valve allowing it to happen.

Absolutely agree Jbizzle.. It has to be in the multiport valve. I'm just curious if i've missed something or didnt check properly or something. again, I appreciate ya'lls input!

If it helps, I've been looking closer at it again today and disconnected the waste line to observe any flow that would be going through there, and i saw no water going to waste during the filter setting.

Good day, can someone give me the exact model number of the valve. If it is a SP714 the gasket is on the puck the goes up and down and is replaced as a whole part and not just the gasket. If it is a 700 series valve it is important that the gasket is glued in with rubber cement or super glue. Also make sure the surface where the gasket is glued is clean. If someone gives me the exact model of the valve I will make sure you have the right gasket.

Good day, can someone give me the exact model number of the valve. If it is a SP714 the gasket is on the puck the goes up and down and is replaced as a whole part and not just the gasket. If it is a 700 series valve it is important that the gasket is glued in with rubber cement or super glue. Also make sure the surface where the gasket is glued is clean. If someone gives me the exact model of the valve I will make sure you have the right gasket.

Thanks for your reply! I can confirm that it is the style that the gasket is not attached to the puck, and has been rubber cemented into the stationary tracks below - So, I guess it is the 700 series? I can go back to the store where I bought the valve body top and ask for the model number, or is there a different way I can find out? The whole filter number is a 244-T if that helps. Thanks again!

If the gasket glues into the body of the valve it should be the old style 710 and not the 714. Take a picture of the valve and post. The label has a model number on top of the valve but sometimes the sun fades that away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.