First real post after introduction

You are running the pump right?

As long as the pump has been running you can and should test your PH in 30 mins. after adding the MA.

Do not worry about TA right now. That is for much later.

I would shoot for 7.2 on the PH for a SLAM.

Once your PH is at 7.2 start the SLAM.

Ask any questions you need/want to ask. I LOVE to help people!

Kim

The TA was just retested and appears to have went up this time it reads 210. I read the directions and have been wiping the tip of the R-0009 before each drop..........

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note this pool was filled by well water and may have increased minerals?????

ok now for the morning update..... We woke up and the pump wasn't running?????? I immedediately went out and checked the GFCI and breaker both ok and hadn't been tripped checked the timer and somehow it had been turned to automatic!!! It's a mystery but anyway I turned the pump on low and grabbed a sample and checked the FC and CC
FC 12
CC 0.5
water clear
These are the exact same readings as an hour after I poured the bleach in. I used Pool Math and put in the numbers to raise the chlorine to 10. I probably don't have it as full as it needed to be. Anyway so now the chlorine is still high. Should I continue to leave the pool the way it is or consider it slammed and go ahead and add the rest of the CYA and salt allowing the chlorine to come down normally and then starting the SWG when it gets down to 5? Thanks for the help.

Oh I need to let y'all know that I also had went ahead and added 4lbs of CYA last evening which was suppose to raise it to 30. I've been informed that you can't really check CYA for awhile so I just played with pool math again and according to 20000 gallons 3 jugs of 8.25% bleach would raise my FC to 12 with the CYA at 24 and 24 is 4lbs which is what I added.

Have you met all three criteria to end the SLAM?

Are the walls clean? No more debris on the bottom? You can see easily all the way to the bottom? Can you still see the floor immediately after brushing? If so, the water is clear. You held FC overnight. Your CC is .5 or less.

If so, you can let the FC drop and start balancing everything else.

All of debris is not out of the pool but will be today and yes I can definitely see to the bottom of pool. I was amazed yesterday how cloudy the water was in the skimmer but now it is sparkling clear.

Is the rest of my post the correct steps or am I leaving something out? Is it imperative to have cleaned the floor prior to ending the slam? My husband is going to get into the pool this morning with his waders on to clean the floor. But once its clean and all of the perimeters were met last night can I go ahead and "sock" up my cya and add my salt? The worst that I can see would happen is I would end up possibly having to slam again with my salt and CYA in the mix, which is what I will be have to do if I ever need to slam again because I don't ever plan on draining this beast and starting from scratch again!

Oh also is 12ppm hurting my pool?

All of debris is not out of the pool but will be today and yes I can definitely see to the bottom of pool. I was amazed yesterday how cloudy the water was in the skimmer but now it is sparkling clear.

Is the rest of my post the correct steps or am I leaving something out? Is it imperative to have cleaned the floor prior to ending the slam? My husband is going to get into the pool this morning with his waders on to clean the floor. But once its clean and all of the perimeters were met last night can I go ahead and "sock" up my cya and add my salt? The worst that I can see would happen is I would end up possibly having to slam again with my salt and CYA in the mix, which is what I will be have to do if I ever need to slam again because I don't ever plan on draining this beast and starting from scratch again!

Oh also is 12ppm hurting my pool?
12 FC with 24 CYA is probably gentler on the pool liner than 5 FC and no CYA.

When there is no more debris and no patches of algae and the water isn't cloudy immediately after brushing, then you can consider the water is clear. Until then, maintain shock levels. Once you have passed everything, then you can allow FC to drop below 10 so the pH test will be accurate. Then you maintain the pool as a bleach pool keeping pH in range and FC appropriate for the CYA level while you add salt and adjust everything else into range for having a SWG. Then you start the SWG. We're only talking a couple days, here. Even people who set up a pool straight out of the box need a couple days to get things straight. You don't want to rush this part. If you add salt and raise CYA and then discover you haven't killed all the algae, you'll need truckloads of bleach to SLAM then. Imagine having to maintain 28 FC for a few days!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.