Need heating cost estimates

Oct 6, 2013
Oklahoma
Jason, I've been in the dilemma of a heater for my one yr old pool. I tend to like my pool on the warm side(85) We had a very mild summer last year, which was awesome, but often the pool stayed a little in the cool side(80-82). It would be awesome to be able to bump up the temp on weekends and maybe even some a little in May before prime pool season. I realize that many variables need to be accounted for, but can you give me an estimate of your gas bill on ur particular style of pool heating. Any favored heater brands our there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Sooner,

Your's wont be too bad at that pool size, but it still isn't cheap and more expensive on Propane. I have a link saved on another computer, as well as a spreadsheet built by one of our Mods here on the forum. Both are pretty darn good and came out close on what my uses have been. I'll come back to this and post those up for you.

A solar cover is a cost effective way to pick up a couple of degrees.

Precise heating cost predictions are impossible, but roughly you might be looking at $200/month to bump the pool several degrees without a cover.

I 2nd the pool cover. I ordered a pool cover an reel for about $300 total. Heating a pool with out a cover is like cooling your house with out a roof. I believe pools loose 70% of their heat at night due to evaporative cooling with out a cover.
More info on pool covers can be found here: http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/swimming-pool-covers

I heated my pool from about 65 to 78 and use a cover and it's maintained without any additional external heating.

I use 3 pieces, One main that runs the length of the pool, and two smaller pieces for the notches. I've placed my reel almost 1/3 in from the end. It works out well. I can roll/unroll it myself, then the reel is long enough that I can swing it out of the way, away from the pool. Pool 2015-03-11_09-55-48_635.jpg

At the narrow point it's about 15 feet, the longest is 36 feet, I ordered 16 X 40 and used what I trimmed off to fill the bench and the stairs. You can see the partial overlap. I notched out about a foot where it's narrow, and when it rolls up it doesn't rub much. Overall its a pretty easy job to fit. Unpack the roll, lay it out over the pool, start at one end, trace/cut outline with sharp scissors. I posted a video here in this topic #4 is where the movie is:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ooking-for-advice-recommendations-suggestions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.