Solar Pool Cover looking for advice/recommendations/suggestions

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
Looking at getting a solar pool cover. At the widest points my pool measures 21 X 36 Feet. You can see it in my avatar on the side. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 12 mil cover. Not sure if I should get a 20 or 16 ft wide one and fill in the gap.

I'm also looking at getting a reel. Suggestions? ]With the shape of the pool can I mount the straps in the middle? Would that work?

pool overhead.jpg

Attachments

• pool overhead.jpg
    pool overhead.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 170
I know I've seen some nice DIY reels that fit in the center from searches on TFP, but I'm at work and most pictures don't show up on my computer here so I can't point you to some ideas.

If you go for a reel in the center you have to make sure it is high enough to lift the cover over the coping. If the reel is not high enough the cover will catch and drag on the coping where the pool bends around.

received the cover today. Installed. Pool temp 64 at 5pm. I'll update with some pictures.

2 minutes to install (compressed movie). Started at 4:30 finished at 5:00

It took about 5 minutes to initially unroll it out. The movie starts after the initial roll out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Kqsmj3TAZFdGJoU21WYXZjdjA/view?usp=sharing

I've ended up using 4 pieces. 1 huge, 15 X 36, then smaller pieces.

I just got a new clear 12 mil cover today too. Looks like rain so I might hold off for a minute. Also thinking about some type of reel that just floats in the pool like mas985 has. Looks like a cool idea.
Just need to figure out how to attach it before I cut it up do I don't come up short.

Nice movie and a really nice job cutting the other fill in pieces.
The center reel. Will it be on wheels to move out of the way ? Have you considered the reel on either end of the pool on wheels that you move out of the way ? You could then move the big piece of the cover to the middle of the pool to roll up and unroll. That way it won't get caught on the coping. After it's unrolled move it into place and add the filler pieces.

Just an idea. Have you seen mas985's reel setup ?

I have a 18X36 more rectangle pool but rounded edges.
I cut my cover into 1/2 and 1/2 again. it has been very easy now for me to roll up (by myself)
every day it is off for sun and going to be cool/cold at night I just lay it on the water and unroll
it across to the other side.

edit; I for one do not believe a solar pool cover really heats the water. I think a filter sitting in the sun
is what really heats the water, especially if it is painted with a good heat catching color paint. mine is
a deep Maroon auto paint. I get 3 degrees heat from it, while it runs. I measure it with a digital temp gun
from amazon $15.

the cover only keeps the heat in during the night.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 18X36 more rectangle pool but rounded edges.
I cut my cover into 1/2 and 1/2 again. it has been very easy now for me to roll up (by myself)
every day it is off for sun and going to be cool/cold at night I just lay it on the water and unroll
it across to the other side.

edit; I for one do not believe a solar pool cover really heats the water. I think a filter sitting in the sun
is what really heats the water, especially if it is painted with a good heat catching color paint. mine is
a deep Maroon auto paint. I get 3 degrees heat from it, while it runs. I measure it with a digital temp gun
from amazon $15.

the cover only keeps the heat in during the night.

The heat that I get during the day from the solar cover is more annoying than anything, The temp diff between the top six inches and the other 38 inches is not for the fainthearted. I had not ever considered putting the filter in the sun but it is something to think about.

The heat that I get during the day from the solar cover is more annoying than anything, The temp diff between the top six inches and the other 38 inches is not for the fainthearted. I had not ever considered putting the filter in the sun but it is something to think about.

there is one more thing to think about. I had that situation last year. this year 4 weeks ago my pool here was stone cold.
it TN temps dropped to below 10 degrees. my salt pool froze, salt water freezes at 20 degrees. it has warmed up to 65+.
so even though my filter can warm up the water it also needs to over come the MASS. 'mass' meaning the concrete that
makes up the walls and floor of my pool. that might take some time, a few more weeks but once warmed up it maintains it.
the sun heats up the concrete pavement/walk way around the pool to over 101 yesterday. now just to get the ground
around the pool liner to get up and I will be in it. pool covered at night helps at this point.
weather report has another 38 degree night to come for me this weekend, high of 78 today.

temp gun I use is 19.99 at amazon.
but found this similar one there at 14.00 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JCFPODM?psc=1

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.