Nano+ with VSP Wiring

ourback

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 6, 2015
Southern Florida
I'm new to pool ownership and am in the middle of a full remodel of an existing 1950s-era pool. One of the things I did was opt to replace the $85/mo single speed pump with a VSP with built in timer and add a SWG.
I've found this question asked here, but I've not found it answered, my apologies if my search-foo is just too weak, but here goes:

What I can't figure out is how to reconcile the requirements/suggestions for wiring those two devices on the same pool:
1) Pump gets 240 24/7, it is no longer switched by the Instamatic mechanical clock
2) Nano+ wants to be switched on/off with the pump (even though it has a flow sensor)
3) Nano+ specifies that it requires GFCI, pump not only doesn't require it, but states that if you use one, the pump can be the only load on the circuit

Contractor has a single breaker feeding directly to the pump and via the Instamatic to the Nano+. Which seems reasonable, but falls far short of the above.

What are people doing?

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to TFP!

In this kind of situation the best solution is to use a current controlled relay to turn the Nano on/off when the pump is actually running.

Also, nothing to do with the rest of your question, but the pump is required to have a GFCI. And in practice it doesn't have to be the only load on the breaker (though that is a good idea).

Thanks Jason,

Apparently it doesn't (we use NEC 2008 down here still, not sure if it has changed since) but I'll just go and replace that breaker with a Pentair or Siemens GFCI then.

Has anyone found such relays/sockets rated for exposure?

We have the Pentair VSP pump on one breaker and the IC40 SWCG on another and it is on all the time. My PB talked to his Pentair rep who said letting the flow switch be the "on/off" switch was ok. I wasn't totally on board with that but it has been ok for 3 pool seasons so far.

At this point there is no real reason for us not just have them both on the same breaker. Kind of a waste of a 20amp DP breaker for a 1 amp device to be the only thing on it.

The current version requires GFCI on all pool pumps, but 2008 only required it for pumps plugged into outlets. Different jurisdictions vary in what version they follow, and sometimes make their own local changes as well.

Regardless, GFCI is recommended (and allowed) for all pool pumps even when it is not required.

We have the Pentair VSP pump on one breaker and the IC40 SWCG on another and it is on all the time. My PB talked to his Pentair rep who said letting the flow switch be the "on/off" switch was ok. I wasn't totally on board with that but it has been ok for 3 pool seasons so far.
Good to know, I am a little surprised that devices meant for protection fail in the unsafe direction such that everyone recommends turning it on/off with the pump.
At this point there is no real reason for us not just have them both on the same breaker. Kind of a waste of a 20amp DP breaker for a 1 amp device to be the only thing on it.
Exactly how I feel about it, and why I'm going to take Jason's advice.

The current version requires GFCI on all pool pumps, but 2008 only required it for pumps plugged into outlets. Different jurisdictions vary in what version they follow, and sometimes make their own local changes as well.

Regardless, GFCI is recommended (and allowed) for all pool pumps even when it is not required.

Yeah, right with you on that. It just means the breaker will be procured at my expense, that's all!

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.