engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Hi

I bought a leaf basket from ProTuff and I like it and the company (so far)

There is a video about variable speed pumps at
<http://protuffproducts.com/save-1000-per-year-water-circulation-costs/>
Does it resonate with you all?

and

They have a pdf on pool maintenance at
<https://cloud.acrobat.com/file/9eadab9e-6edc-44c5-ad0e-1ea4e34f7569>
Does it resonate with you all?

(never tried links before so may fail)

The video is fairly good. Their numbers appear to be correct and are consistent with everything we teach here. However, it is important to understand that they don't fully work through all the implications. For example, variable speed pumps are dramatically more efficient than single speed pumps, but they cost significantly more to install. Unless your electric rates are really high, you can often do better financially with a two speed pump, which has most of the energy savings, and much lower up front costs, and thus lower total lifetime costs.

I couldn't get the PDF to load, it asked for a user name and password.

The video is fairly good. Their numbers appear to be correct and are consistent with everything we teach here. However, it is important to understand that they don't fully work through all the implications. For example, variable speed pumps are dramatically more efficient than single speed pumps, but they cost significantly more to install. Unless your electric rates are really high, you can often do better financially with a two speed pump, which has most of the energy savings, and much lower up front costs, and thus lower total lifetime costs.

I couldn't get the PDF to load, it asked for a user name and password.

Video? cool, now understand pumps

pdf? is now on dropbox so please try
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5558701/6%20Pool%20Maintenance%20Tips.pdf>

The PDF file is much more mixed. I completely agree with their first two points, but after that things go downhill.

3) Drain instead of SLAM - draining the pool is not at all a good idea for in-ground vinyl liner pools or fiberglass pools, which can be seriously damaged by a complete drain. Even a plaster pool can be seriously damaged by a full drain if you have a high local water table. Chemical startup costs can also be significant, and water prices have gone up since they wrote.

4) Misters waste chlorine - yes and no, they do consume some chlorine but not $20/week.

5) Don't backwash too often - again yes and no, don't backwash too often, but the 8-10 psi rule was never that good a guideline. We recommend backwashing when the pressure goes up 25% above the starting pressure.

6) Don't let PH go above 8.0 - I completely agree, but not for the stated reasons. The active chlorine percentage is only as they describe it when CYA is zero, with CYA that reasoning is simply not true. Keeping the PH under control is important to prevent metal stains, prevent calcium scaling, and because keeping all of your levels under control is a good habit to have, one that can save you all kinds of trouble down the road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.