Dolphin Nautilus for above ground pool?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
After spending the last couple months reading reviews about cleaners, for the price, its dang hard to beat the Dolphin Nautilus. It says it cleans all pool surfaces. But it is "recommended" for in ground pools. So will it work on my partially buried Doughboy rectangle pool or no? Anyone using a dolphin in an AGP?

Thanks!

If it was me with your pool, I would prolly get one, because thats just how I roll.

As far as the interior of the pool goes, I see no difference. the only thing that comes to mind, is maybe how thick the liner is. IG's are usually 20mil or higher. I dont know about AGP liner. I would suspect howver that they may also be 20. If its considerably thinner though, then that might be a concern.

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I dont know why it shouldnt be ok.

If you get one tho, dont be surprised when it climbs the wall and tries to climb out of the pool!

So, i have ran across many who have used a nautilus in their AGP with no issues. But i have also been looking at the Triton. I was told the Triton will harm a vinyl liner by one "salesman" despite the triton being used by many IG vinyl owners, and cant find anyone using the triton on an AGP.

Basically, here is where im at:

Nautilus for $600 shipped, no caddy (which i hear is nice to have), 1 year warranty, doesnt do the best wall scrubbing but decent (misses waterline alot ive read) Good reviews, known use on AGPs with good results. Cartridge filters (fine media)

Triton - $800 shipped, 2 year warranty, caddy included, will do better job scrubbing walls and waterline, remote control available for additional $75-$80 bucks if i so desire. (Medicore reviews on remote control) No known AGP use, but i cant understand what about the triton will hurt my pool. Cartridge filter (course media) fine media available for extra $40-$50 bucks.

Thoughts? Im mainly cleaning up dirt and a few bugs. No leaves, sticks, etc. obviously fine media filters would be better.

Should i even factor in a 2 year vs 1 year warranty in on this decision? It seems most are getting several years out of these dolphin units.

Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

The Triton is basically a Nautilus with a Float Handle. I would have to call the salesman down on the "will damage a liner" statement. The triton and nautilus use exactly the same drive and track system.

Depending on how your pool is layed out, where the outlet is, where you intend to store the cleaner etc. the caddy may or not be worth it.
I considered one, but didnt go for it. Now that I have had the cleaner a while. Im glad I didnt.
My Nautilus came with 2 sets of filters. The fine pleated ones and a "clean up" mesh set, which I have never used.

The triton will do a better job at the waterline because of the float handle.

My opinion both cleaners are awesome and priced very reasonably for the performance you get from them. I think it comes down to if you want the convenience of the handle for pulling it out of the water and the increased water line scrubbing.

The Triton is basically a Nautilus with a Float Handle. I would have to call the salesman down on the "will damage a liner" statement. The triton and nautilus use exactly the same drive and track system.

Depending on how your pool is layed out, where the outlet is, where you intend to store the cleaner etc. the caddy may or not be worth it.
I considered one, but didnt go for it. Now that I have had the cleaner a while. Im glad I didnt.
My Nautilus came with 2 sets of filters. The fine pleated ones and a "clean up" mesh set, which I have never used.

The triton will do a better job at the waterline because of the float handle.

My opinion both cleaners are awesome and priced very reasonably for the performance you get from them. I think it comes down to if you want the convenience of the handle for pulling it out of the water and the increased water line scrubbing.

Yeah, the salesman wanted to sell me a primal x3, as the triton was out of stock. Not that the primal is bad, ive read good reviews but it has bags, and moreover, looking at replacement parts (yeah, i looked them up for all models as i know eventually they will all break) the motor gear assembly in the primal is all in one and over $400! :eek:. For a $600 machine, that means if the motor caves im junking the whole machine. The nautilus / triton is different and the motor (which is the most expensive part) is about $270-$280 bucks. Low enough that if it went out on either machine, and my machine was otherwise in great shape, id pony up for a new motor over a machine replacement.

Thinking about it, my machine is gonna be stored 20 feet away, under my back porch in a deck box during pool season... I think i can live without a caddy, and 200 bucks for one more year warranty doesnt seem logical.

I think i will get the nautilus. Thanks for your help Dave!

Glad I could be help man. I dont think you will be disappointed at all. I did seriously consider the Triton, but that 850 was a good chunk of change for me. I just couldnt do it. And now, Im glad I saved that money

I keep my cleaner about 20 ft away too, and on the porch!

to give you an idea, during spring, summer and fall, I run my cleaner at least 5 times a week.

During the winter, once a week average, depending on the weather. So I run it a lot, and not a single problem.
Maybe when robots were new technology, they had bad problems with longeviety, but it seems they are getting better. At least I reckon the Dolphins and Haywards are. I figure if I can go 3 years without a major breadown, I will call that good enough for me. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

gtnos, let us know how that nautilus works out for ya. I might be interested in one if it works good for you. I have a 25 mil liner so that shouldn't be an issue with it I would think.
Nice job Dave in helping him out with the decision !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks pwrstrk,
i think he already had his mind made up for the most part though, he just needed a little .... encouragement. LOL :)

right gtnos?

too right!:p

Nautilus will be here by Monday. I cant wait to try it out. The wife is all...:confused::confused::confused::confused: about why im buying it now as she remarked "its the middle of winter! Pool doesnt open til mid April! its iced up, what are you going to vacuum?" :confused:

evidently... im anxious for pool season to get here! :lol: i just ordered all my needed testing refills from TFTestkits too... :swim:

thanks again for your help, Dave!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.