How often do you replace cartridges in Pentair Quad DE filter?

ttmatsu

Apr 16, 2010
Escondido, CA
Doing a pool remodel and I'm considering switching out my current DE filter which uses the traditional rectangular grids to the quad. I read the owners manual and it states "You can expect an average cartridge life of 3 years under normal conditions". Wow. I still have the original grids in my 19 year old filter (acid washed twice). Considering that a 100 sf filter would cost $400 from what I've seen online for replacement cartridges, I don't see it being practical for me to switch if I have to replace the cartridges every 3-4 years.

For those of you that have owned a quad for many years, what has been your experience with how long the cartridges last before needing replacement?

However often you have to replace the filters depends on a lot of things. The statement about every 3 or 4 years is someone trying to sell filters.

If you have a very big quad filter the cartridges will last way longer.
If you put a small single cartridge filter on the same pool, it wont last as long as the multi cartridge one.
How often you run the pump figures in
How may GPH hits the filter figures in
How often you clean the filters figures in
The way you clean the filter figures in
How well your water is balanced figures in

So, take a sales pitch for just what it is.

Doing a pool remodel and I'm considering switching out my current DE filter which uses the traditional rectangular grids to the quad. I read the owners manual and it states "You can expect an average cartridge life of 3 years under normal conditions". Wow. I still have the original grids in my 19 year old filter (acid washed twice). Considering that a 100 sf filter would cost $400 from what I've seen online for replacement cartridges, I don't see it being practical for me to switch if I have to replace the cartridges every 3-4 years.

For those of you that have owned a quad for many years, what has been your experience with how long the cartridges last before needing replacement?

If they're holding the D.E. in, and you're getting adequate flow rates from your pump to the returns, I can think of virtually no reason to replace them other than your filter cycles have become painfully short. That seems unlikely with a Quad DE.

I bought replacement filters for my Pentair Quad 60 after six seasons, mainly because they had become clogged with gunk that was impossible to clean out. This was before I started using the TFP method and was opening my pool up each year in May to swamp conditions, which was pretty hard on the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.