grade issue and drainage - almost completed w pool

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

Part of a final punch list, was for the PB to remove dirt, debris and other, then properly grade.

When we had a medium rain regarding how hard it came down last Friday, the water was running from behind the pool wall down a 5-7" grade difference and then running over and onto the decking pavers and into the closest drain. It also left dirtn debris & mud stains on travertine pavers. If the rain was real hard and more than a 1" rain, it would be running into the pool most likely.

Although this area is not landscaped yet, nothing stops water unimpeded going from a high pt to a lower pt. The PB has not responded to this issue yet. However, he did recognize the same issue was going to happen at the spa, so when the decking guys were installing the travertine pavers, they did a 6" step-up. Therefore, he recognized the issue there, but I think he thought when the dirt was removed from the back wall, it would be resolved. They removed the dirt and I think to the near original grade or 1-2" off, but it still exists as a grade issue. It is just how the grade exists, prior to excavation.

So, no matter what the grade is, it is his issue to resolve, correct? I am willing to work towards any amicable solution, but wanted to get everyone's opinion since I know 1000's of you have "already been there and done that".

Lastly, this board has been so helpful, I am going to sign-up and join right after I post...what a great site.

Thanks,
tstex

Proper drainage can be tough to accomplish but any good builder should stay with it until it works. That rainfall you had was a great signal to you (and should be to him, as well) that more work needs to be done to keep the water away from your pool.

An overflow of muddy water into the pool is a first rate disaster and not always easy to clean up.

I hired a separate contractor to get rid of the 2-3 large piles [30ft x 10ft x 3ft] of dirt. mud. excess plaster, trash/etc., and he is coming today. He will try to re-grade this area. I am also going to have him bring in bank-sand and smooth out and grade/pack the area for future sod in some areas and pre-landscaping in other areas. this will help to break-down the clodded-clay "soil". Hard to call it soil at all.

After this is done, I will then leave it up to the PB to re-evaluate and place a drain in this area and tie it into the closest drain that already moves all to the street.

Thank you,
tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.