New Member - New Pool Build in DFW Area

We are thinking about heating up the whole pool to use tomorrow (I'm the only one crazy/stupid enough to use it up to this point with the chilly water). Can any of you experienced folks give me a ballpark estimate for how long it will take to heat a 10K gallon pool (probably a bit less than 10K) with a 400K BTU heater? Any rough estimate of cost? I'm hoping not to get a $500 gas bill next month. :)

I think we will do the same thing! It's just the principle of the matter - maybe....depends on cost :). Our neighbor heated his pool when they first put it in (March) and it cost him $400 in propane. But I don't know the size of his pool. -Karen

Honestly I wouldn't even attempt it. ... The part of your body sticking out of the water is going to be very upset at the rest of you.

It's a bit warmer today (supposed to get into the low 50s), so I think we'll give it a shot. The only part I'm worried about is getting out of the pool to go to the bathroom. My wife has reminded me several times that I'm not allowed to pee in the pool. :)

I'm interested in how long it takes you to heat it. We have about 12,000 gallons, the spa is 800. Granted we have a 250K BTU heater, but it took an hour to raise the temp from 68 to 94 in the spa, based on how long it took to heat the whole pool one degree, we figured it would easily take about 6 plus hours to heat the whole pool to 84, so we nixed the idea and just heated up the spa. I think the 400K heaters area about twice as quick to heat.

You can google pool heater cost calculator and come up with a few places you can check how much it will cost you. I estimate it will cost me about $300 extra per year on my electric bills to keep my pool at 85 from the beginning of April through the end of October using my heat pump. Using it in temps below 60 is pointless as it reduces efficiency by almost 50%, but if its only 60 degrees outside I don't wanna go swimming anyway. We opted out of a spa because we have no intentions of sitting outside in the cold. I'd rather take a bath indoors. :D

I'm interested in how long it takes you to heat it. We have about 12,000 gallons, the spa is 800. Granted we have a 250K BTU heater, but it took an hour to raise the temp from 68 to 94 in the spa, based on how long it took to heat the whole pool one degree, we figured it would easily take about 6 plus hours to heat the whole pool to 84, so we nixed the idea and just heated up the spa. I think the 400K heaters area about twice as quick to heat.

We heated the pool for about 2.5 hours, and the pool temp went from 45 to 61 degrees. At that point we gave up and switched it to only heat the spa, which took about 20 minutes. I imagine it would have taken at least 5 hours to reach a comfortable temp in the pool. We spent about three hours in the spa, and it was glorious.

FYI, I discovered that if you give a waterproof camera to an 8 year old boy, you end up with a series of crotch pics followed by excessive giggling. :)

45 to 61 in 2.5 hours is pretty good, I generally get about 3 degrees an hour with 10K gallons and 400K BTU heater in AZ. I heat my pool every Thanksgiving from about 65 to 89 for a few days and it costs me about an extra $100 in gas when doing that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
no pool yet, but I was told it takes 45 minutes to heat a 6-8 person spa (1000 gal) 10-15 degrees with a 400k btu. To heat 12-15k pool it would take up to 24 hours for 10-15 degrees. Could probably do this twice w/a 500 gal propane tank. Propane runs for 2.20/gal here so I would be looking at 400 per swim event/day using a heater - just for the propane. I only have electric at my house so I have no clue on the cost of natural gas. The estimates given to me are a lot higher than what others are posting. Maybe my guy was trying to get me to "forgetta about it."

The guy quoting the heater said an effective way to heat a pool is to cover with a thick black plastic tarp on a sunny day. Cheap, ugly...not sure how effective. LOL

We decided to heat up the whole pool yesterday (it was a beautiful 65 degree day), and it took about 8 hours to raise the water temp from 51 to 82 degrees. It was a bit longer than I was expecting based on my previously aborted attempt, but I figured I'd share for anyone else with a tiny pool. It was the first time the whole family has swam together, and it was a lot of fun. We may heat it up again next week when family is in town for Thanksgiving.

I have a question for all you experts out there. I'm having some trouble vacuuming the pool. My PB recommended that I shut down the main drains when I vacuum, leaving only the two skimmers with suction. I attach the vacuum hose to one of the two skimmers, and the SVRS always shuts down the pump shortly after I start vacuuming. I have to restart the pump several times to finish the job. I have tried only partially closing the main drains, and that seemed to help a little bit but SVRS still kicks in. Is there a way to temporarily disable SVRS, or could I do something differently to prevent the pump shutdown? FYI, I have a Pentair 3 HP SVRS pump. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.