Replaced Aquarite limiter, now box feels hot. Did I do something wrong?

Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
The limiter on my aquarite failed. The board was visibly scorched when I took off the cover. Ordered a replacement from Digikey and installed it last night.

Everything seemed to be working last night, this morning came out and checked (ran it all night) and the face of the aquarite controller was warm to the touch. The display had been showing 2800 salt previously, was now showing 4000, and another setting is showing -4000. The hayward site is down, so I'm not able to view the manual to see what the negative number might mean.

I don't remember the box being this warm before. Wondering if I did something wrong? Could I have installed the limiter incorrectly? Here's a couple pics:

http://imgur.com/a/HGrZz

Good to hear, thanks. Any idea why my salt reading would jump from 2800 to 4k overnight? I've had to had a TON of bleach this summer (the unit wasn't working nearly all summer, just now realized it). Could that have raised my salt level?

Good to hear, thanks. Any idea why my salt reading would jump from 2800 to 4k overnight? I've had to had a TON of bleach this summer (the unit wasn't working nearly all summer, just now realized it). Could that have raised my salt level?

Used the calculator to answer my own question. It does, and I must have added a tremendous amount of bleach to go from 2800 to 4k!

Negative number is the instant salt reading vs the average salt reading. Many report the control box seeming very warm after replacing the resistor. I just think that they never noticed before, how hot it gets. They always put out a lot of heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.