Proper cartridge filter and pump sizing

jwramr

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Blue Haven is one of two builders I am still deciding between. All hayward stuff.

19k 16x32 pool - what cartridge filter and pump combo for best filtration and lowest operating cost. Will likely not be doing solar panels on 2nd story roof at this point...leaning toward aqua comfort 125 heat pump. 2 inch piping.

They put a 2 speed 1.5 hp and 190 sq ft cartridge on the quote. I just read hydraulics 101 and pump basics...great info and I understand I want slow flow rate on a large filter...I think that means 1 hp two speed pump with 450 sq ft cartridge filter????

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It is good that they recommended a 2-speed pump, although that could also still be oversized. Do you know which 2-speed pump they are talking about? A 1HP 2-speed Super Pump would be fine. The Super II are likely bigger than you need (assuming you have no spa or large water features).

You are right that the larger the cartridge filter the better, but there is not point going crazy big as there is no real added benefit. For a 19k pool, I think a minimum of 275 sqft would be good. You could certainly go bigger and reduce the frequency of cleaning, but you should clean it once a year anyway.

hayward 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - not sure other than that.
Other builder is recommending pentair intelliflo vs pump 3 hp. Also recommending the healthcare system ionization plus ozone generator and venturi skimmers with sand filter. Recommends shocking once a week with bleach and brushing walls.

Anyone have experience with the blue haven return jet system? They are claiming superior flow and heating water in half the time. It is still 4 returns, but they claims their proprietary nozzles make it seem like 24

Thanks for the feedback on the cartridge size...450 seemed a bit overkill - but I saw similar gallon pools in many signatures that listed huge 400+ filters for a 20k gallon pool

Last edited:
That other builder sounds like they are up-selling. No need for the huge VS pump and we do not recommend UV or ozone for residential outdoor pools because you still need to have a residual sanitizer (chlorine) in the water to be safe.

hAnyone have experience with the blue haven return jet system? They are claiming superior flow and heating water in half the time. It is still 4 returns, but they claims their proprietary nozzles make it seem like 24
Standard returns are just as effective as anything on the market. Just smoke and mirrors to get people to spend more money.

That other builder sounds like they are up-selling. No need for the huge VS pump and we do not recommend UV or ozone for residential outdoor pools because you still need to have a residual sanitizer (chlorine) in the water to be safe.
Agree, builder 2 is upwelling stuff that sounds neat but is almost useless.

Someone once said, bigger filter - smaller pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.