Getting started for the second time

iggy

Jan 24, 2008
The Cool Part of Arizona
Hi Everyone,
It has been many years since I was here last. Sorry but all was going great after learning how to maintain my pool here. THX.

My return/revisit today is that I plan on draining 50% of my pool after 7 years. The reason is because my chlorine is being eaten up and my CYA has gotten lower and the test show I have contamination from rain and other issues that I won't get into but some wrong chemicals added while I was gone by my daughter. So instead of playing games I decided to reduce my water level by 50% and refill with fresh water.

The pool opened February 2008.
During this time everything worked well.
SWG cleaned every 6 months
Cleaned filters 3 or 4 times a year
Water has been basically well balanced chemically until the last 3 months.
My PH is perfect as well as all others but my chlorine is being eaten up very quickly.
Water super clear, No algae.
Yes I still need to refill 50%.

Normally these are my readings.
FC levels 1-3 ppm
PH 7.2 to 7.6
TA 110 - 130
CYA 80-100
CA 250
Salt level 3200 ( Goldline limits 2700 -3400)

PLAN IS................
Start draining pool down about 50% which is about 5,000 to 6,000 gallons.
As I'm draining I plan to acid washing the tiles at water level to remove 8 years of calcium build up.

1. After filling back to level I will install four new filters.
2. Next I will start adding CYA over a few days and test regularly to insure good reading.
3. I will add initial liquid chlorine but haven't decided bleach or pool store stuff. After that the SWG will take over.
4. Will add approx. 100 lbs of salt as I figure my salt level will be divided in half down to 1,500 and to get back to 3,000 the chart says just over 100 lbs.
4. I will run pump on a regular schedule and test, test , test.

My questions now are...

1. Does this plan sound reasonable with the proper order I need to do this or does it need modifications?
2. Can I use liquid bleach or just use liquid chlorine from the pool store before switch back to my SWG?

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you all soon.
I will also post how things are going but I have to wait another week to insure the rain stops here in the Arizona desert.:D

You can use liquid bleach or liquid chlorine, there is no difference other than concentration.

Your normal FC is too low. 3 should be the absolute bottom, I recommend shooting for 5 or 6 to ensure you never fall below 3.

UPDATE
After a few more test of the water and testing SWG here is the answer I was looking for.

FAC - 0
TAC - 0
Salt - 3500
Calcium - 280
CYA - 100
TA - 100
pH - 7.7
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Phosphates- <100

Tested Installed SWG T-15 Cell - Failed
Tested Original backup SWG T-15 - passed.

Solution installed original good SWG cell
Added some shock to help working cell to catch up.
Set cell timer to 50% for 8 hours a day.

We will test over the next week after the rain and plan to lower pool to reduce CYA as it is over 100% now.

Sorry for jumping to conclusion that it was a water chemical imbalance and it just happened to be aa bad SWG that has been running all summer.

Will write a follow-up in a few weeks.

I'm happen now. :D
Thanks all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.