Large air bubbles when pump starts

JoshRW

May 19, 2014
Dallas, TX
Hello everyone.

I believe I may have an air leak somewhere, but it seems a little strange to me. When the pool pump is turned on, air comes almost blasting out of the return lines, and it lasts for a few minutes. After that though, everything seems fine.

I've tried to search the forums, but most suction side air leaks I have read about seem to be constantly pumping bubbles into the pool. Is my issue something else?

Thanks!

It would be helpful if we knew what kind of pool and what equipment you had. Please add all the info to your signature, it will help us in figuring out what's going on, and you only have type it once.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

You don't happen to have a solar heater do you?
Have you tried bleeding air out of the filter when you start the pump to see if it is somehow draining when the pump is off?

It would be helpful if we knew what kind of pool and what equipment you had. Please add all the info to your signature, it will help us in figuring out what's going on, and you only have type it once.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

You don't happen to have a solar heater do you?
Have you tried bleeding air out of the filter when you start the pump to see if it is somehow draining when the pump is off?

Thanks guys, I will update what I can now and add the rest when I get home in a couple of hours. Just want to make sure I list the specific equipment correctly.

I have not tried bleeding air out of the filter. I'm not 100% sure of the process for that, but I believe I would just need to open the air valve on top of the filter? What would I be looking for while doing this? That may be easier to help me with when I have the model # and such for the filter.

I have a heater, but it is gas powered.

The question about solar is because it is normal for lots of bubbles to appear in the pool when a solar system starts up.

That is exactly what mine looks like when the solar panels are purging. My guess is that your filter is draining when the pump is off and then you are having to purge that air when you turn the pump back on. There is a knob on the top of the filter. Next time you go to turn the pump on, turn it on and then open the bleed valve. Ideally you should have water shooting out immediately, my guess is that you are going to get air coming out for awhile.

That is exactly what mine looks like when the solar panels are purging. My guess is that your filter is draining when the pump is off and then you are having to purge that air when you turn the pump back on. There is a knob on the top of the filter. Next time you go to turn the pump on, turn it on and then open the bleed valve. Ideally you should have water shooting out immediately, my guess is that you are going to get air coming out for awhile.

I will definitely check that out tomorrow after work, too dark here to look at it now. When I open the relief valve, I don't need to take the whole thing (including the pressure gauge) out of the filter, I just need to push down and turn the top half of it correct?

If your belief is correct, any ideas on what is causing the water to drain out? I check to see if I saw water leaking out anywhere when I turned it off this evening and didn't notice anything, but I imagine it could be going back into a pipe?

Thanks

There should be a small bleeder near the gauge. It will have a small knob or lever to operate it. Don't open the top of the filter.

This used to happen to me but then I found a small water leak at one of the threaded pipe couplings on the line from the pump to the filter. Fixed the leak and the big bubbles on start up went away.

Of course you'll only see the water leak when the pump is running and the system is under pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine does this too. I have a small leak at the seal of the handle on my multiport valve. A tiny bit of water will puddle around the handle notches while it's running. When it goes off it lets the water in the filter drain back to the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question about solar is because it is normal for lots of bubbles to appear in the pool when a solar system starts up.
Hey - i have a solar heater, and Experience the same. When i turn on the system in the morning when the Sun is up - a lot of Air bubbles burst out for 10-15 seconds. This is normal ?.. or should i do something ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.