Solar pool heater with salt watersystem

Aug 9, 2014
Hi, does anyone know if I can use my saltwater chlorinator with 4 x 20 solar heater panels? The inexpensive fafco brand or eco sun models on amazon.

I have an intex pool with swg and I want to put solar panels on my roof. Not sure if the saltwater would be to corrosive?
I've tried emailing a few company's with no response yet.
Thought I'd try my trusted friends on the forum!!
Thanks for your input

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I think the problem of corrosion in saltwater pools is greatly overstated. The salt content required by a SWG is only about 3500 ppm. This is about 10% of the salt level in seawater, and less than even half that of human tears.

I think your biggest problem is going to be getting your pump to pump water up to the solar panels on your roof. Unless you have upgraded your pump, an Intex pump is not likely to handle that task.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

I do not understand. The solar panels are 100% plastic ... what are you worrying about corroding?

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Jeff, that request for a location applies to you as well ;)

Hi jeffchap,thank you for replying. I do have an alternate pump that I plan to run the solar system with.
Thank you for the info 9 my panels.

s I just got 2 4 x 12 panels with controller for a case of beer off kijiji.
Gotta love kijiji!

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Hi jbizzle, I will add my info
I live in Toronto Ontario Canada.
Yes we do actually get a lot of warm weather up here!!lol.
It was close to 100 f here today.
Could I run a 3/4 hp hayward pump from the intake then divert a portion to my intex 1600 gph swg system to the return,then the rest to my solar system,back to the return with valves and t's of course?

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Realize that solar heating is more efficient at high flow rates, but with only 2 panels, you only want to be sending about 10 GPM through them, so you will certainly need to only divert some of the flow to the panels (I would start with low flow to the panels and slowly add flow until the panels are cool to the touch).

I would come off the pump to a diverter to send flow to the panels, then back from the panels and T back in and then have the SWG after that. Although I would guess there would not be a problem with tying the solar back in after the SWG since the SWG should still have plenty of flow.

That's a good idea, I hadnt thought about tjat set up. I also have a 2150 gph pump that may
work with the intex pump in series.
I'm glad you told me about 10gpm to the solar panels.
As that was my next question!

Toronto Ontario Canada

Yes I have a few pumps.dilemma is my intex 1600 gph filter pump swg system(all in one)
I d like to use my hayward 3/4 hp pump to pump as well as the intex 1600 gph pump swg system.
I was thinking
1)
3/4 pump from intake with a 'Y'
Half water flowing to intex filter pimp swg system.half water diverted to solar system.
As i have such a long run.
Thoughts?

Toronto Ontario Canada

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.