Solar Cover Removal - Solar Roller

Apr 18, 2014
Los Angeles USA
For our Intex 16 foot above ground, round pool with no deck, and very little storage space, my husband and I decided to go with the Solar Roller Coverstick, by SolarFacory, to remove our solar cover. It has worked very well for us, we use it, once or twice a day, everyday. The attachment instructions were a bit confusing, and my husband had to to drill an extra hole in one aluminum tubes to make the attachment a little more secure. We have a saltwater pool and the aluminum roller is starting to get some saltwater corrosion, the white mineral deposits, but I think it will hold up for some time and if it doesn't, we have more poles that came with the kit. The removal of the cover can be done by one person and I have done it myself, but it is easier with two persons on this four foot high pool, as one person holds one end, of the rolled cover up high so the excess water will drain back into the pool, while the second person hold the other end just above the water's surface. This process gets rid of quite a bit of excess water trapped in the roll and makes the cover very light for easy lifting, over the pool, to the storage area.

I saw another post where someone made a roller out of pvc pipe and attached the cover with plastic screws, which sounds like a good alternative for a small pool. The Solar Roller Coverstick comes with an aluminum crank handle which makes the rolling very fast and easy. I made the YouTube video with my iPhone photos and the app "PhotoMotion"

http://youtu.be/l3qd7m2kdeY

Just a thought, but to keep the poles from getting eaten up by the salt water, you could put a "PVC sleeve" over the aluminum tube and use one bolt at the end opposite the crank handle going through the PVC and the aluminum tube. The salt water wouldn't get to the aluminum then and your cover might last for a good long time.

Just a thought, but to keep the poles from getting eaten up by the salt water, you could put a "PVC sleeve" over the aluminum tube and use one bolt at the end opposite the crank handle going through the PVC and the aluminum tube. The salt water wouldn't get to the aluminum then and your cover might last for a good long time.

'Just getting back to forum for the new swim season. Yes the salt water did corrode the aluminum pipe. I have another set of pipe that I will use this season. I was told by David Hoff, the inventor, to coat the pipe with clear Rust-oleum spray paint, which we did, but 'haven't used them yet. I have some shrink wrap sleeves I may add that as well - is that what you are referring to regarding the "PVC Sleeve"?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.