Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Doughboy 28 to 24?

1. Back To Top    #1

Doughboy 28 to 24?

My DH bought a used 28ft doughboy pool for $200 that was 8 years old. But the pool maybe too big for my yard. Is it possible to make it smaller? I know that bigger is always better when it comes to pools, but is it possible to shrink it to 24feet? I think it might not be, but I have to ask. Waste? Guys? I know you will know. Thanks, Kimrst
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Doughboy 28 to 24?

Im just guessing ..... BUT I would think the side could be cut down to be 24 feet. I would suspect the problem will be the retaining ring at the bottom of the pool that the sides slip into. But I'm sure someone who knows better will chime in soon!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm just guessing but wouldn't it affect the rails once you cut the wall down? I mean, once you make one cut, many cuts will follow right?

It sounds risky if you ask me... <Yikes>

I wish my post was more optimistic!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, not an option for you.
    The walls have two ends that get a bar pushed down on them to hold together.
    You might be able to reuse the uprights, bottom track, top rails and the skimmer/filter/pump, but it's the wall that will not allow it to happen.
    I took down my inlaws 10 year old pool and was going to reinstall in my backyard (wife sold this as a "free" option). So I bought a new liner and discovered the wall and bottom tracks were corroded beyond reuse. I got a small amount back from DB under warranty, we had full documentation.
    Needless to say, I bought a new DB, re-fenced yard, landscaped with paver's, installed a doorwall in house.... so much for that free pool.
    2007 - 24' AG Doughboy Desert Spring dished 1.5', with DB Power Pak II-1hp pump, DB Sequel I Plus DE, Hayward H-Series Heater 100k + 8gal LQ.

5. Back To Top    #5

krcossin,
    Did you hard plumb your DB filter and pump? We have a similar setup to yours (except sand filter instead of DE) and are looking to install a more permanent plumbing with hard PVC or flexPVC instead of the cheap vacuum cleaner hoses that the pool store supplied. It appears that the fittings on the pump, filter, skimmer, and inlet are something unique. Our documentation says we must buy special DB adapters (of course). Any thoughts?
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

amjohn, we just hard-plumbed ours. Well, actually, we used pvc to run the 2nd return jet and replaced the hose to the 1st return jet with pvc, with the handles to adjust the flow. DH still needs to switch out the cheap tubing on the pump and filter with pvc. But our backwash line (which was required by the City of Wylie) is hard-plumbed too!
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2