New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern CA

Re: New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern California

If this turns out well, you can help me redo my pool next since I'm in Winchester!

Kidding :D

Plans looks great though, good luck!

If you ever need steel I'd highly recommend this guy. Very fair pricing and these guys worked hard. They even spent 2 hours digging and fixing the mistakes the excavator made (he I would not recommend even if it saved me a little).

image_zpsf7bdad5a.jpg~320x480

Re: New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern California

Ok, the plumbing has been an adventure to say the least.

I had the first plumber walk off the job as I was upset that he cancelled 2 days in a row. He had dug the gas trench and that will end up being a cheap ditch which saves me on the next crew who gave a discount since it's dug out. Worked out well overall I suppose.

image_zpsd7504d4d.jpg

image_zpsed41b955.jpg

image_zps3b5ecf57.jpg

Inspection today for plumbing and electric, next up: shotcrete

Thanks, the rebar guys were excellent, as were these plumbers. If I had to do it over again, I would use them again. Inspection passed, next pics will be shotcrete.

Its starting to take shape, I can't wait to see how it looks once is been shotcreted. Thats when it really starts to look like your dreams. Its so exciting. Great news on being under budget too, thats a great achievement in itself!

What's been going on the last few weeks.

First step is cut into the slope and grade out behind the pool so that I can start with my walls. Before I can do that, I needed to set my scuppers, I decided to take this project on myself.

Problem 1 (how do I hold the scupper in place while it sets?). Over half this scupper needs to overhang, so I've got to properly support it. Hanging seemed like the easiest solution.

image_zps432d50a9.jpg

image_zps4cfb65de.jpg

I used the wire to adjust the height so that they were leveled and as square as I could get em. Then filled in with cement.

Now I got that out of the way, I hired someone to cut the slope and grade the rear of the pool. While he was here I had him dig my footing for the retaining wall, which will get me a discount with the Masonry guy(the discount for the pre-dug footing, was actually more than the excavator cost me for everything he did, so that worked out well).

image_zpscba86c4e.jpg

Inspector passed my footings, so I'm good for the walls which will start tomorrow, and from there, we'll get getting closer.

Coping starts today

image_zps226a9517.jpg

As you can see, still have a lot of dirt to remove. Found a spot a mile away who needs the dirt and is willing to get it, so that saved a slight headache.

So far so good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Looks nice, must of been a delicate job grading that on a slope so close to the pool.

Are you using some kind of filter on your phone to take those pictures, looks like sepia or something and the color is very muted.

Looks nice, must of been a delicate job grading that on a slope so close to the pool.

Are you using some kind of filter on your phone to take those pictures, looks like sepia or something and the color is very muted.

Yeah I was wondering about your pool wall that the tractor so close.
That's the LA area smog.. :whoot: I kid!

no filter, just crappy iphone I guess haha.

I'd imagine the weight of the excavator doesn't compare to the amount of dirt that pushes up against that raised bond beam since it's 3' raised. If it can hold compressed dirt, what's another couple tons?

Coping looks darker in the pic than it really is, it's much lighter. Walls should be up today, but will still need to be finished with stone and stucco.

Wall is up, passed grout inspection. This wall is a headache for me, glad it's over. It'll get a stucco finish with rock column's.
image_zps5660def7.jpg

It looks different than my initial drawing. The idea was to get an idea on paper and then make changes as we go. It's easier for us to visualize as the stages progress, so as you can see, we added a planter stepped down in front of the pool.
image_zpsc213abb1.jpg

There will be a long fire table that extends along most of the upper part of the deck.

This outside area will drop down a little and be a bbq/kitchen type setup area.
image_zps4921fa02.jpg

Tile starts thursday, we're excited, we like what we picked out and think it's going to look nice.

The travertine experience.

Here's a little story of my adventure in travertine.

OK, the coping was supposed to be a lighter color, and I'm told it will lighten up quite a bit over time. Regardless, the plan for colored concrete deck definitely had to be revised because none of the concrete colors really work for us the way we like, especially compared to travertine which my wife started to fall in love with the more she looked and researched. The cosmetic look first attracted her, but the cooling benefits in the sun sold her on it.

I'd like to start by saying, I know zilch about travertine. I researched it pretty heavily for 3 days, craigslist, calling distributors and wholesalers. I found a place in Anaheim which claimed to be the spot. The guy said their prices will easily beat anyone else I can find, they're a direct importer distributor, and they don't sell to the public, except one sales rep who is authorized to.

I go down there and he says 3.50 sq ft. That's a great price for this region because it's quite a bit more here than some of you lucky Miami folks get to pay. My lowest I could find was 3.89 and I had to travel to Carson which is about twice the distance for me to drive. So Anaheim it is!

Being a travertine newbie, I did not even consider that it would be too heavy for a pickup truck. I'm not even joking, the pallets are almost 3k pounds. The lightest one we had was 2.5k pounds, I had him load that in the truck. Had him put another crate on the uhaul trailer on the back (rated for 1500 lbs).

The guy tells me, you still have 7 more pallets. I shake my head and start thinking about ways I can have it trucked to me at a decent rate. No way I'm driving back and forth here 4 more times, especially pushing my Tundra to the absolute limit.

I'm pretty scared tbh. My shocks are nearly bottomed out, my hitch is only a couple inches from the ground. I had to wrap up the chain to keep it from dragging on the ground, the hitch was so low. Very slowly I drive away and carefully maneuver to the freeway where the plan is to drive 45 mph in the slow lane, for the 40 mile trip. 5 miles into the trip, crisis mode. . .blown tire on the uhaul trailer. Ohhh no!!! I'm stressing out, only 5 miles down the road and this weight is too much. I call roadside assistance, but the whole time I'm stressing out about whether I'll blow another tire during the next 35 miles. What a crappy feeling.

He fixes the tire, and as he's doing that, I unload some of the pavers, spreading them out all over the trailer, trying to better distribute the weight. Same thing in the bed of my truck, even putting pavers up in the cab, anything to lighten a few hundred pounds. Tire is fixed, and I take off. There was a few unhappy drivers along the way, but I crept my way all the way home.

Screw this, I'm calling someone I know to arrange delivery for the next day. Here's where it gets interesting.

I called Greg at the stone yard to get a ballpark on how many crates are left. He says 7. I'm beyond confused. I ask him, how could there be 7 crates left, I only ordered 700 sq ft. He says, it's big and takes up a lot of room. Ok, I'll have a guy there tomorrow to pick it all up. 13k pounds left, and to my calculation, much much more than 700 sq feet unless I"m missing something (perhaps he's sending partial crates, that's my only explanation).

So next day, Pedro, my truck driver arrives, and I've got hired help to unload him. I'm adding up the footage, and I quickly get to 700 and notice I have almost that amount leftover. They sent me over 1200 sq ft of travertine, I paid for 700 sq ft. I call Greg and let him know (I'm actually a little upset because I had to pay for all that to be transported and then paid to have it unloaded). If they think they're just going to come and pick it up, they're going to have a problem. I get ready for an argument, and he completely shocks me. "Sorry about that, feel free to keep it, unless it's an inconvenience to have it, and we'll arrange for someone to come get it if it's in your way".

so, 500 sq feet of extra travertine pavers at 3.50 per sq foot.

I ended up paying a total of 450 for delivery and then a couple laborers to help unload it. So 1200 sq ft of Travertine for less than 3k. Finally something works in my favor! This is a huge help to getting further under my budget, though completely lucky.

Holy Cow - it is nerve racking having a blown tire while pulling a trailer - always a concern when I pull the horses. I thought Tundras can pull space shuttles :).

In the end - wow nice surprise with the extra travertine. Put a plus in the good column. - Karen

Just read this thread for the first time. Great design and kudos to you for doing all this yourself. I wish I had known as much as you about the build process .. things would have been so much easier, less pressure and frustration. No doubt problems happen along the way for anyone, but without a PB as a middle man I can imagine it's much easier to get things done right, and in the right order, since you can essentially hold payment over a subcontractors head until it's done the way you want.. plus you save a ton of money. I'll be following this one to the end. Good luck the rest of the way, though doesn't seem like you need it. Everything looks great so far. It's going to be sweet!!!!! ;-)

It's a lot of work but the results are really starting to show. It's fun watching projects come along.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.