Converting PristineBlue to TFP

Higgs

Aug 13, 2014
Charlotte, VT
I'm converting our two month old pool to TFP. My test kit arrived Saturday and I ran two sets of tests last night. Pool was clear, cold at 66 degrees after 4 days of rain and no sun. It was 86 last Monday.
FC=0
CC=0
PH=7.5
TA=40
CYA=0
CSI=-0.39

Yesterday was the day to add all the PB stuff, so I chose it as the starting date to transition.

I added 6% bleach last night to get to FC=10.

I retested this morning, 10 hours later.
FC=1.5 CC=3
I only had a half gallon of 6% bleach left so I added all we had.

I'm headed to the hardware store at lunch to gather ingredients.
More bleach to get a steady supply on hand.
102 oz of Baking Soda
77 oz of CYA
DE to add to a cup to sand filter
I'd like to add some salt for the soft feel, how much for 14,500 gallon IG Vinyl is recommended?

I have not tested copper levels, but what prompted all my research was my blonde 6 yo now has green hair. I totally bought into the pool store and followed their program, then realized I was a consumer buffoon. Do I need something special to remove copper?

My plan is to add CYA in a couple of socks to let absorb into the system. Keep FC up to 10 for the next few days, testing morning and night. My pump runs 16 hours a day, 6am-8am & 6pm-8pm at 2000 rpm to effectively skim, 1300 rpm the remainder to mix and effectively pull heat out of the solar field, we hope to get some sun this week. I tried 1000 rpm but the water from the solar field was scalding hot on sunny days so I bumped it up. I'll add the salt and baking soda tonight and tomorrow in batches through a 5 gallon bucket with holes in front of the return jet for dispersal.

Am I on the right track?

Welcome to TFP!

Sorry you got off to a bad start in pool ownership.

Adding a metal sequestrant of the type recommended in the Metals in the Water and Metal Stains article will help in the short term, but it is only a temporary solution as the sequestrant needs to be added periodically. Replacing water is the only real solution.

Thanks JohnT

I'll add sequestrant for the remainder of our season (maybe 6 more weeks) and then will be draining 50% for the winter anyway. Next spring I'll get a water hauler to refill and properly adjust into next season.

Any comment on how much salt or if it is worth it this year?

Quick Followup:
I ordered a test kit and found the copper level is only 0.2 ppm. It took four days SLAMing and everything is testing great. I added 500 ppm salt. The water and pool feels great. Thank you to the forum for all the great information and a better way to maintain my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.