33x18" above ground pool is now an aquarium - please help

Aug 14, 2014
Cole Camp, MO
Hello.

I recently purchased a home in Cole Camp, MO with a Lomart 18x33 above ground pool that is 52" deep and holds about 19,000 gallons. The pool seems structurally sound, but the water is the color of sewage and contains buckets of algae. It also is home to leaves, sticks, tree limbs and assorted water life, most notably tadpoles by the thousands.

I have never owned a pool before, but I've been trying to educate myself over the last couple of weeks, so please forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about.

First instinct was to vacuum out the pool, but the vacuum seems to be missing the adapter that I use to connect it to the skimmer, so I have ordered one. In the meantime, I decided to siphon out the pool and start cleaning the disgusting liner. After getting it down to about 2 feet deep, it dawned on me that I didn't really want to be ankle deep in dead tadpoles, so I stopped siphoning.

Further reading suggested that I should just bomb the pool with chlorine to kill the tadpoles so that they will float to the top and I can just scoop them out with the net. So today I'm off to buy chorine or bleach and commit tadpole genocide (unpleasant).

So after I scoop out all the solid waste, should I just keep the 2 feet of water in there or go ahead and drain the rest? At first I thought I would drain to the bottom, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just fill it back up and then let the chemicals and pool filter do the rest.

Sorry for length and thank you for your suggestions.

I would refill and use chemicals because the pool and liner are using the water to stay stable and in place. You could be inviting new problems if you drain it all the way. Chlorine will get it clean. You'll need to do something called SLAM, and you'll need a high-quality test kit to be able to do this. See:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

I agree that it is a shame if you can't re-home the tadpoles. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.