Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Kids, Adults Sickened by Chlorine in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Kids, Adults Sickened by Chlorine in Pool

Ummm, what was he mixing?????

Update: Kids, adults sickened by chlorine at pool
    by The Jersey Journal Tuesday August 05, 2008, 2:23 PM

About 12 kids and camp supervisors from a Jersey City Recreation Department program were evacuated from the Lincoln High School pool with respiratory problems this afternoon. There are reports that all are having trouble breathing and some have vomited.

Jersey Journal reporter Michaelangelo Conte and photographer Don McCoy report from the scene that kids are being hosed down by emergency service workers and other children are seated on the steps receiving oxygen.

A locker attendant at the pool, who didn't want to be named, said the kids in the program are around 12-13 years old. The locker attendant said her boss was mixing the chlorine to add to the pool, "and it turned yellow and it was making little suds and bubbles," which isn't normal.

"There were seven kids in the pool and I told them to get out. And then they started throwing up," she said.

The children are from a summer camp program at nearby School 12. The kids at that daycamp use the Lincoln High pool.

The situation has drawn a massive response from Jersey City police and fire departments and includes Hazmat and mass casualty units, Conte reports.

Councilwoman Viola Richardson is at the scene and said that it's likely all the people affected will be brought to the Jersey City Medical Center.

Stay with Hudson County Now for updates throughout the day
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Kids, Adults Sickened by Chlorine in Pool

here's a link to the current story: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ckened_by.html
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

That's the one I posted. I just posted the article because sometimes the links expire.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd guess he accidentally (or just stupidly) mixed acid and chlorine... I don't know the details but I know it makes a toxic gas...
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is another update I found http://www.nj.com/jjournal/stories/i...020.xml&coll=3

I'd be interested to know exactly what he was mixing and why he didn't know how to do it properly in the first place.
    8200 Gal Vinyl 18' AG Vogue Pool
    150lb Hayward Sand filter with 1-1/2 HP Maxim Pump
    Intex SWG
    Some of the most helpful links for pool owners: Pool School | Pool Calculator | The best test kit | Chlorine/CYA chart