Ummm, what was he mixing?????
Update: Kids, adults sickened by chlorine at pool
by The Jersey Journal Tuesday August 05, 2008, 2:23 PM
About 12 kids and camp supervisors from a Jersey City Recreation Department program were evacuated from the Lincoln High School pool with respiratory problems this afternoon. There are reports that all are having trouble breathing and some have vomited.
Jersey Journal reporter Michaelangelo Conte and photographer Don McCoy report from the scene that kids are being hosed down by emergency service workers and other children are seated on the steps receiving oxygen.
A locker attendant at the pool, who didn't want to be named, said the kids in the program are around 12-13 years old. The locker attendant said her boss was mixing the chlorine to add to the pool, "and it turned yellow and it was making little suds and bubbles," which isn't normal.
"There were seven kids in the pool and I told them to get out. And then they started throwing up," she said.
The children are from a summer camp program at nearby School 12. The kids at that daycamp use the Lincoln High pool.
The situation has drawn a massive response from Jersey City police and fire departments and includes Hazmat and mass casualty units, Conte reports.
Councilwoman Viola Richardson is at the scene and said that it's likely all the people affected will be brought to the Jersey City Medical Center.
Stay with Hudson County Now for updates throughout the day