Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New fiberglass pool - how long until I can pour deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

New fiberglass pool - how long until I can pour deck?

My new fiberglass pool was installed last week, and I was wondering how long I should wait to pour my pool deck. I will be using Vastec's coping to pour the concrete right to the edge of the pool. I have heard varying opinions from 2 weeks to a year and everything in between. Pool was backfilled with pea-gravel and sand mixture, and compacted down as they got closer to the top. I really don't want the concrete to crack. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
    Northern NJ, 14x32 inground fiberglass pool, 14,000 gallons, 1 1/2hp Hayward pump, Hayward c1200 cartridge filter, Pentair IC20 SWG , solar heat, mesh safety cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New fiberglass pool - how long until I can pour deck?

When my fiberglass pool was installed three years ago, the pool builder waited 2 - 3 weeks before pouring the cement. He said he wanted the pool to settle before pouring. Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: New fiberglass pool - how long until I can pour deck?

It's a hard question to answer.

It's all about compaction. If the PB did a PERFECT job and compacted EVERY single void out of ALL the areas under your concrete, it will not crack and you can pour it right now. Obviously, that's almost impossible to do so your substrate is going to settle to some degree and therein is when the cracking occurs.

The longer you can wait for rain and natural compaction, the better chance you have of no cracking.

I was so paranoid about this, I poured concrete 16 months after the pool was filled. It worked. Five years and so far no cracks........so far
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School