Cloudy Water, Algae (Rookie Poster)

I was going to fill out the "Pool Math" tool. Considering my Total Chlorine (1st test using the Taylor K-1000 included with the kit)per the gauge was Orange (therefore I assume > 5), what should I use in the Pool Math tool? What, maybe 8?

TC is the FC and CC numbers added together, both of which you already know with precision from the other test, right?

Don't worry about TC.

FC and CC are what matter, although the K1000 (I think) can only measure TC...which is why that number is sometimes used...it's a cheap and quick ballpark measurement of chlorine. No need to ever preform that K1000 test for TC if you are also doing a FC and CC test with the precision drop method.

You do however need the pH, which is why and how I primarily use the K1000 (blue box) kit.

Just a thought, what sample size did you use? 10 ml or 25 ml. I am assuming you multiplied the drop count by 0.5 to get your results.

For a 10 ml sample you multiply by 0.5
For a 25 ml sample you multiply by 0.2

Your numbers seem awfully high.

Attachments

• Muriatic Acid Gallon.jpg
    Muriatic Acid Gallon.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 44
With regards to "Are you sure about your math on the CC ??" Pretty confident. Being this was my 1st time with the test kit, and these procedures, I took my time and read each instructions at least twice to insure I grabbed the correct solution and followed the process as described.

And I was rather surprised I had to dispense 52 drops R-0871 to get a clear reading.

On the cc test are you by any chance waiting and letting the color go back to pink after the drop that clears it?

FC/CC test should be done fairly rapidly, and drops should be added till one additional drop causes no further colour change (i.e. once it goes clear you should add one additional drop, but the reading is calculated without the additional drop).
The solution will turn pink if you leave it standing, ignore this.

Okay, finally got around to testing the pool again (8/25). Hopefully I'll have time to do it again tomorrow.

Anyway, today's test results:

FC: Still orange I assume this is well above target
pH: 7.8 Top of the acceptable range, correct?
FC: 16.5
CC: 1.5
TC: 18 In range?
CH: 275 Bordering on the low side?
TA: 120 Way too high, correct?
CYA: 50 Too low, correct?

Couple of reminders: A couple of weeks ago our original SWG that lasted ~7 years malfunctioned, so it was replaced the SWG. The water is getting much clearer, but there is still some algae present.

Any immediate suggestions?

And thanks all

Replies in red.
Okay, finally got around to testing the pool again (8/25). Hopefully I'll have time to do it again tomorrow.

Anyway, today's test results:

FC: Still orange I assume this is well above target Technically TC. You can temporarily stop using the OTO test due to the current condition of your pool.
pH: 7.8 Top of the acceptable range, correct? Yes, but would need to be lowered for SLAM.
FC: 16.5
CC: 1.5 See comments below.
TC: 18 In range? It is the FC/CC readings that matter, not the TC.
CH: 275 Bordering on the low side? Within defined limits.
TA: 120 Way too high, correct? Don't worry about it at the moment.
CYA: 50 Too low, correct? No, because you need to SLAM.

Couple of reminders: A couple of weeks ago our original SWG that lasted ~7 years malfunctioned, so it was replaced the SWG. The water is getting much clearer, but there is still some algae present.

Any immediate suggestions? SLAM the pool.

And thanks all

Taken together, the CC reading and presence of algae is indicative of the need to SLAM. Leave CYA where it is for the mean time. Don't worry about TA until you have completed the SLAM.
Suggest you (re-)read ABCs of pool water chemistry as some of your questions are addressed in the article.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.