Is my FC too high

Unless the rain is causing your pool to overflow into the yard its not going to affect your CYA level much at all. Rain may raise your water an inch or two but then the pool will evaporate back down to the level it was originally and unfortunately evaporation leaves behind the bad stuff.

I wonder when people started understanding CYA and FC relationship. Did they even use CYA back in the 70s and 80s. Pools have been around for a while. Did they just dump chlorine non stop? I am excited to see what will happen to my CYA after I open my pool next year again. It seems that the practice of weekly shocking as recommended by pool stores developed from overly high CYA and ineffective FC. I had 0 CYA when I opened the pool. The previous owner had a bucket of stabilizer in the basement, and the pool stir told me I need more as it burns off in the sun lol. Apparently some people think that CYA burns off like chlorine.

Yes they used CYA back then. 50 years before that is a different story. Just ask some really old people.

Pool equipment isn't a faith-based practice. You don't need to believe in timers. They really do exist! I don't understand the concerns you have. IMO, unless you sit in a lawn chair and watch your pump for the whole 12 hours it is running, you aren't preventing anything. If you have a problem that would burn up your pump upon startup, it will also present itself during any particular 12 hour cycle where you aren't watching.

Evaluate the "determining pump run time" information. Perhaps you can save yourself enough for the few bucks needed for a proper test kit. The best of the kits (TF100 XL) costs less than the typical trip to the pool store and provides way more value.

Specifically which Taylor kit # are you bumming off your friend?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.