Need to SLAM and don't have accurate CYA level

Thank you Richard and Kiss4afrog.
Then I guess I should address the possible channeling or dirty sand and checking lateral for when the SLAM is done?
I'm keeping the level at target of 12 so far today so hopefully getting closer.

The last 2 readings have been:
at 1650- FC- 13, CC- 0.5
1830- FC- 12.5, CC- 0.5
A storm is brewing. I don't know when or if I'll get to test again this evening.
Should I let this be my level to look for in the morning?
Will the added rain affect/dilute my chlorine?
Is my day wasted?

Tested at 2100- FC- 12.5, CC-0.5
After storm went over with some rain. Hard to say how much.
Will let these be numbers for the night and see where it is in the morning.

Thank you everybody!

No pass OCLT again.
Morning numbers FC-9.5, CC-1
Had small amount of rain overnight and more expected sometime today.

I will continue SLAM with limited posts.

All of you have been so good to take time to help me, encourage me with this.
I really do appreciate each and everyone of you! :)

Have a Blessed Sunday,
Joan

You just need to keep the FC as close to 12 as you can all day and then do the test after dark and hope for a good outcome on the OCLT.

Fingers crossed !!

Another no pass morning on the OCLT. :(
Went to bed last night with FC-12.5, CC-0.5
This morning 0700- FC- 10.5, CC-0.5
Brushing and bleach to target of 12 again today.

Thank you for crossing your fingers kiss4afrog!
I crossed mine and said prayers too but not meant to be at this time.

Updates or cries for help later,
Joan

Updates and or cries for help gladly accepted here !!

Don't know if it was mentioned but have you checked the underside of the steps if you have a removable ladder in the deep end and checked inside the niche on any built in light you might have to see if anything is hiding in there ?? Don't forget to inspect the back side of the skimmer doors and inside the skimmers.

I was hoping for suggestions to look for culprits so thank you kiss4afrog.

I have brushed banding on steps every time I brush, both top and bottom and nothing comes out. I know this is a hiding place as it has had algae there before.
Thought this morning I would get IN and take a hand brush to that band just to be certain.

I did a thorough on my ladder last week. I thought it was clean already and it was except for slight red dirt look inside the bumpers that go on metal, up against the pool wall.
I coated the whole thing AGAIN in bleach including the rubber bumpers inside and out.

I do have a built in light which was totally replace a few years ago so not terribly old. I also scrub it well with each brushing and this morning laid down and took a hand brush to it. Nothing came out around any of the crevices.

I did a scrubbing of the skimmer and face plate with a toothbrush last week. I did find a little algae hiding at that time right inside and around the face plate.

I also took the tooth brush to the jets and another closed off "hole" in the wall that was for an old shark the previous owners had. Nothing around them to speak of. One had a little gray residue fluff off. Others nothing.

I even thought about the tubing in my ladder possibly siphoning old water from the holes it is secured in, in the concrete. Only one of those holds water, the other is dry. But the bad water would have to go up to the arch of the hand rail and then down to the pool and out past the bumpers, which plug the bottom opening. I don't think it could siphon all the way up that arch.

At this point I just don't know. Nobody swimming since Thursday of last week, numbers kept up pretty good I think, and the water has always been crystal clear.

Thank you for brainstorming and helping me. I really do appreciate it and encourage more!

Off to test again.

Joan

Hoping not pwrstrk.
But I've seen some pictures on the forum of folks who found that to be the culprit.

If I ever get sick again, I will crawl out to the pool to put bleach in it, so my chlorine level doesn't bottom out again...........

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"I thought that's what I said, meant. Take it out and check it. Maybe I worded it wrong." ��

Nope, you are correct I hadn't seen your post between seeing her reply first in my email with the cleaning cracks with a toothbrush and thinking ... did she take it out ??

Sorry for being confusing. :(

My confused self. Not either of you.
Kiss4afrog, you did ask if I had checked behind the light niche. I'm sorry. All I was thinking about was - yes, I cleaned around the light really well.
And pwrstrk, I knew you meant to take it out.
I had already seen the thread that you linked kiss4afrog. I re-read it again from your link. Thank you!!

I'll call in some help and get the niche checked as well as the filter for the channeling. Sand was changed last year but could still be dirty, channeling or lateral broken. Needs checking and I can't do that alone.

Until I can get those things done, I can continue to hunt for other culprits.

In the meantime FC is being kept up there well.

Thank you guys :)

I love my cheerleaders on here!
I would have crashed and burned already if it weren't for you guys.
Not much encouragement around home. Grown kids that do live in area are busy and although quite educated, seem to still be of the thinking that the water is clear and got chlorine in it, so what's your problem Mom?
Nobody has time to help little momma tear open the filter or even stand by and take the screws from the light IF I were to be the one to get it out. I probably can't unscrew them to be honest.
Husband is a good soul but the pool or anything outside isn't his cup of tea. It's all good.

Onward! I have to stay with it! My cheerleaders are counting on me and whatever I find may help someone else. :)

I brushed for the 4th time all over and got in to get all around the band anchoring the steps good with a hand brush. Nothing around the steps.
Another go at the skimmer plate revealed some flakes and dark fluff coming out from under it and inside the ledge. The other day with the toothbrush here there was a little algae and I didn't notice any of this.
Today with stiffer bristle brush and the toothbrush pushed harder I got more out.
I poured about 1/2 jug of 8.25% bleach right in front of the area and of course it went right into skimmer. I also scrubbed inside of skimmer again.
I'm not real worried about the liner bleaching. It's basically white from my past years of powdered shocking. Sad because the liner is 8yrs old and was very pretty when we got it. Maybe once I get all this settled and we save even more on the pool, we can get a new liner!

Now my question is, this plate on the skimmer looks like it comes off pretty easy. Can I take it off and clean behind it?

I will search out videos on taking the light out of the niche. I may be able to do it. Maybe.
I'll get help for the sand filter however.

Thanks loads!
Joan

Will one of you guys look at the last post here please? http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73787-Chlorine-Stick-In-Light-Niche
Don't worry, I don't want to put stick or tab in the niche. I was searching for how to take the light out of niche and the last post mentioned blasting water around the light for 3 days in a row before taking it out.
Day one stuff came out around it. Day two did, then day three the flush was clear. When they finally got the light out the niche was clean.
So I'd like to give it a try till I can get a helper to help me get the light out.
Explain to me how the poster used their vac hose to blast the light housing if you would please?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.