Sediment Comes Back After Vacuuming

May 26, 2009
Oshawa, Ont
18ft Above Ground Pool. Salt Water. Chemicals are perfect.
I am left with sediment on the bottom of my pool. I vacuum it up, it looks all clean, and then it returns after about 2 hours. As a possible solution - I have opened up the sand filter and cleaned/mixed up the sand. I cleaned it by mixing it all up, and then spraying it with a hose and then backwashing it.
The sediment still returns. It is very fine and almost like a dust. If you gently wave your hand by it, it will disperse.
My next thought is to replace the sand.
Does anyone have any other ideas?

pool.jpg
http://1drv.ms/1wJ5RY8

Do you have one of the recommended test kits?

Please post a full set of test results.

Also, please update your signature with your pool information so we know what type of equipment you are working with.

Fine sediment sounds like you are on the verge of an algae outbreak. Pool stores are always recommending sand be changed when it rarely, if ever, needs to be. I've owned my current home for 14 years and I've never changed the sand in my filter.

Try putting a stocking over the return jet. If dust/debris accumulates in the stocking then something is wrong with your filter. But if the stocking remains clean then it is coming from somewhere else.

I get the same exact thing. But mine looks a lot worse. I did a stocking over the return jet and did catch some gunk. Not a ton, but stuff that I would have thought would have been caught by the filter. I have a cartridge filter, though. Not sand.

Probably time to change the cartridge even though I've never had a problem with the pressure, etc. I've cleaned the cartridge a couple of times but I still seem to have the same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That small amount of particulate happens. I could be stuff that was stirred up while you were vacuuming, and then settled back in.

I have a fine dust problem with my pool, also. My dogs love the pool, and drag in some, and I have trees overhanging the pool. I think the trees are contributing more than the dogs, because the leaves collect dust from the air, and that drops into the pool. Daily vacuuming is the norm for me.

eve5yruj.jpg
to the OP mine looks eerily similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine sediment issues here as well. More so when it's hot, dry and windy for long periods and dust is blowing around. But my remedy is to mix a little DE with some water and pour it in the skimmer before hooking up the vacuum hose. Just gives the sand filter an extra edge at capturing the extra fine silt. Not that it won't be back on the bottom the next day but I think it does help.

Mine does that when I vacuum too quickly. I don't think I have quite enough suction to vacuum very well, but if I go slow it makes a world of difference. Often it seems I have to vacuum one day, let it settle then vacuum the next day to get the rest, that mostly takes care of it for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I resorted to chenging up my sand. I vacuumed it all out and then noticed that the Lateral Assembly Pipe had a crack in it. The base also had some hairline cracks.
I'm trying to find a replacement part, but I cannot make out the model # of my filter. Here are some pics. The closest I can get is this, http://www.hayward-pool.ca/pdf/manuals/SandMaster-SM1700T-SM1900T.pdf but it is not identical to my ***-174T model #.
Can anyone else figure out what model I have? It's a Pool Filter Hayward Sand Master High Rate Sand Filter ***-174t
My next step is to replace the Lateral Assembly and Pipe (they are joined together) and fill it up with new sand (I have purchased 100 lbs new High Rate Sand No. 20 Silica Sand (.45mm - .55mm))
1nOVeO3

Attachments

• 2014-07-21T19-08-43_0 (Small).jpg
    2014-07-21T19-08-43_0 (Small).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 198
I'm a total newb... so you can take my advice with a grain of salt, or sediment, or whatever...
This is something that I struggled with, and came up with a 'helpful' solution.
I simply use a lady's (or men's, doesn't matter) trouser sock INSTEAD of the vacuum pouch thing that the vacuum came with.
The fine sieve of the sock lets a considerably smaller amount of sediment through than the original pouch.

Also, my sand pump has a backwash setting, and it lets a lot of that sediment out the back door (I run a backwash every couple weeks). Do you know if your system has a backwash?

I finally said screw it and bought a new cartridge for my filter. When I opened up the cartridge it was a dirty swampy mess in there. Clearly (to me) the filter wasn't doing its job. Vacuuming now. We'll see if it lasts or the crud returns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.