sudden rough build up on spa

Jul 18, 2014
Springfield,Mo
Hello all,first time here.been using bleach to keep sanitized spa.i noticed the Ph meter said 5.0 so i put about a cup of borax in to bring it up.12 hours later i have a nasty sand paper like scum all over the spa..what did i do wrong? how can i fix this and avoid it again? Thank you all.

Is it actually a scum? Can you brush it away and reveal smooth clean surface beneath? If the PH was really 5.0, that's pretty low and potentially could have damaged the surface depending on how long it was at that level. Since you said, "Ph meter" and most tests can't read PH even close to that low, can I ask how you got the measurement? It's possible that the reading of 5.0 was way wrong, and so it's hard to say. It's extremely difficult for us to help you without more information about your spa and the situation and without accurate test results. This forum is like a kitchen and the experts are master chefs; but if you provide bad ingredients (inaccurate test results), you'll get bad food (poor advice).

Is it actually a scum? Can you brush it away and reveal smooth clean surface beneath? If the PH was really 5.0, that's pretty low and potentially could have damaged the surface depending on how long it was at that level. Since you said, "Ph meter" and most tests can't read PH even close to that low, can I ask how you got the measurement? It's possible that the reading of 5.0 was way wrong, and so it's hard to say. It's extremely difficult for us to help you without more information about your spa and the situation and without accurate test results. This forum is like a kitchen and the experts are master chefs; but if you provide bad ingredients (inaccurate test results), you'll get bad food (poor advice).

Hello.Im certain it was a sudden calcium build up from me using borax.my Ph is always high in the spa.Im newbie. I figure i would put some borax in and all would be fine..NOT!!!
Now i have to drain,use some vinegar and elbow grease to get this stuff off.
How do i get back to my post to read replies?
Thanks so much for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.