Does the FC diminish faster when at higher levels due to evaporation?

Tedb

Jun 30, 2014
Central Florida
I have seen a few posts about people who need to leave their pool unattended for an extended period of time (7-10 days). And the use of pucks is often a suggestion. Why couldn't the FC level be raised based on average daily loss? So if you will be leaving for 10 days and your average loss is 2 ppm, you increase your FC level above where you want it by 20ppm.

Does the FC diminish faster when at higher levels due to evaporation? If not, why would this not be a good solution?

It's a percentage, not a fixed ppm.

So if you lose 40% per day, if you start at 20, you'll be at 12, then 7.2, then 4.3 by day 3. By day 4, you're done for. There comes a point where you'd have to start out so high that you'd likely bleach the liner, or end up using as much as you'd need to clear the algae bloom if you hadn't done anything.

That's why using tabs when going on vacation is a good way of keeping FC at a decent level for a week to 10 days. It dissolves fairly slowly so it's not in the water to get burned up by the sun. I did that once after I started using bleach for chlorination. The day I left, I poured in two bottles of 8.25% and 5 tabs in a floater 10 days later, I still had some of the tabs left in the floater and FC of 4ppm . Thanks Richard!!!

The longest I went with pool unattended was 4 days. Took FC up to SLAM level which was 16 and when I got back FC was 3.5. Water temp was 88-90. 10-11 hours full sun with clear solar cover on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.