Wanting to get off to a good start

I found this site while setting up my new pool. Since then I have been lurking in the shadows reading up on what others have asked and posted, and decided it was time to ask some questions of my own. As the title eludes to I have just set up and filled my 22' Intex Ultra pool. I have many questions so I will start from the beginning, one by one.

When researching which pool I wanted I decided on a sand/saltwater system. I read these units require less maintenance, since I travel a lot for work I decided this would be the best for me. First questions: 1. What issues do you foresee with me leaving my pool for up to 5 weeks unattended with the system on auto. 2 Which test kit is recommended for the pool set up I have. I'm sure I probably need to give you more info so just let me know what else you want to know.

Thank you,

-L-

Re: Wanting to get off to a goo start

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

5 weeks is a LONG time to leave the pool unattended. At a minimum the pH is likely to climb too high due to the SWG, but there could be environmental occurrences that put a higher chlorine demand and the SWG may not keep up or equipment failures.

The test kit is easy, get the TF-100 which is one of the Recommended Test Kits and maybe add a method to test the salt level.

The evaporation in five weeks could be substantial - enough to drop water levels below the skimmer which lets the pump run dry and wreck it. Also, the dust could be huge - a couple days of Santa Ana winds and you'd have a quarter inch in the thing.

If there's someone at home that could be trained to add water and test pH and FC and either add acid or turn the SWG up or down, that's something different. I believe a bright ten year old could be taught to count drops and plug numbers into poolmath easily enough.

Jblizzle, Richard320, thank you for your responses. I guess I really want to gauge weather or not I would need to hire a pool person. I live alone and don't really know any one responsible enough or with enough time (motivation) to stop by my place for regular maintenance. You brought up some points I did not think about. I have a cover on the pool I am hoping will protect it from the dust and debris that whip up around here. I forgot about evaporation (believe it or not). I have not done any modifications such as a trough wall skimmer... yet I plan to do this mod when I get home next week.

I will keep this forum close in the weeks to come, hoping to keep my pool balanced enough until this project lets me get more time at home.

Thanks a bunch already.

-L-

The cover will help a lot with the evaporation, but to leave it for 5 weeks is asking too much. A service might be the best option for you and since you have a SWG the pool should be a lot easier for the service to maintain it closer to the way we do it here at TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.