80's Metal Pool Coping replacement Options

humormepleez

Jan 5, 2022
Nixa, MO
Hello All,

My name is Jenny and I'm from the mid-west. I am here to find out some options on renovating metal bullnose pool coping. I'm managing an exterior renovation project for my boss. We plan to install pavers over the existing pool decking. However, it seems the concrete was poured after coping was installed. This is a bigger challenge than we thought. What options do we have regarding installing pavers and leaving the current bullnose coping?

Attachments

• Pool Coping 1.png
    Pool Coping 1.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Pool Coping 2.png
    Pool Coping 2.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to TFP.

What do the pavers look like that you want to use?

How thick are the pavers?

No easy answer for you. The deck and the coping are integrated together. to do it right you demo the deck and the coping and rebuild it all the way youw ant.

If you put pavers on top of the existing deck and coping you can run the pavers to the edge of the deck and put a bullnose on the edge pavers. You will see the paver edge above the coping. You need to decide if that works for you.

It kind of depends on what you want to use as a paver. You can just slap pavers down on top of the deck but they probably won't look good unless you do something to hide the coping. You could try and glue/mortar a thin piece of paver in front of the bullnose to hide it, but you run the risk of that falling off and damaging the liner. Like @ajw22 said, correct way is to demo the whole deck. If you do that you can replace the existing coping with just a liner track and lay the paver on top of that. That method would more than likely require a new liner as well though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.