Water still cloudy. Why? Please help!

Has the CYA dissolved?

If you keep the FC between 2 and 3 ish for now, and the water is clear, you can swim.
It will; however, prolong the SLAM process.

One cup of CYA would only add about 10ppm. I suggest you add enough to get to about 30 CYA via sock method.
Then, adjust FC/SLAM FC accordingly.
But first, before you do that, have you added anything else that contained CYA? trichlor? dichlor? tabs? sticks?

How does the water look now?
Do you have well water or municipal water source?

Please let your sig post with each post. It keeps responders from having to scroll back up to your first post to find the info.

It is best to stick to one thread so that everyone understands your complete story.

I've read over your other posts and, if I understand correctly, you had a CYA of 20 and then you added more stabilizer to get to 30, right? Once you add stabilizer, it takes a week to register on the test, but once it dissolves, you need to assume that it is in your water and you need to adjust your FC target accordingly.

So, with a CYA of 30, you should be shooting for a shock level of 12. You need to SLAM your pool by keeping your FC at 12. I suggest testing and adding chlorine hourly at first and less frequently as you are able to hold FC.

FC/CYA Chart:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Overview of the SLAM process:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Once you pass all 3 of these:
  1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
  2. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  3. And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

While you are SLAMing, keep an eye on your filter pressure. You need to clean your filter after it rises 25% above your clean pressure.

I know exactly where that is. Okay I tested this morning & all my levels look good. I have no CC. PH is 7.5. FC is a 6. I can see the bottom of the pool, but not crystal clear. It is getting there & nothing left on bottom of pool. I poured some more bleach in there last night after my last post. So I will keep checking it today & see what happens. Thanks for all your help.

It is frustrating, but you are on the right path. You need to keep testing and adding bleach to keep your FC at 12, keep doing this until you pass all 3 criteria:

1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less while you are holding shock level of 12);
3. And the water is crystal clear.

When you wait too long to test and add bleach, you let the FC drop it allows the algae to replenish itself and you will be starting all over. Waiting until morning is way too long. The harder and faster you hit this thing, the faster the process will go and the less bleach it will take.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems like you are on the verge of killing off all of the algae. Don't stop. Keep raising the FC at 12 until your water is 100% crystal clear, keep the pump running 24/7 and brush the pool a few times a day.

Once your pool is crystal clear, you can move on to the OCLT (overnight clorine loss test) to make sure that all of the algae is gone. You can read up on it so that you are ready when it is time.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

:calm: You got this!

The TF-100 has the FAS-DPD test... it is the one that uses the powder.

You can complete a slam in the rain, rain doesn't impact FC very much unless you have water runoff spilling into your pool or tree/bush debris fall into you water. Just do your testing indoors :)

On the bright side, you've learned so much that that you have the knowledge to keep your pool sparkly clean and next year will be awesome!

Swimming during a SLAM will increase the time to finish a SLAM, but the whole reason to have a pool is to swim right??? You can safely swim as long as a) FC up to SLAM level for your CYA, b) as long as you can see someone at the bottom of the pool, safety first!

Can anyone tell me how to add pictures or to make sure that my signature shows under all my posts?

Pictures
I think new folks have a size limit on pictures. Here is a tutorial if you want to use flickr:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...tures-to-a-post-(full-guide-with-screenshots)

Or you can support this forum and post more photos:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/144-CLICK-HERE-to-Become-a-TroubleFreePool-com-Supporter!

For your signature:
Click on "Settings" at the upper right of your screen. Scroll down to the lower left and select "Edit Signature". Here are signature details we like:

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
What kind/model of water test kit you are using
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleane

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.