Pool Water Quality Testing Research Project

Jul 8, 2014
Akron, Ohio
Hi all! I am a graduate student at the University of Akron in Ohio, and I am working on a research project this summer for a non-profit economic development firm in my area. My project is to learn more about pool/spa water quality testing and monitoring. I was hoping you all could answer the following questions:

1. 1. What testing method do you currently use? Why?
  2. 2. What are you testing for?
  3. 3. How frequently do you test?

In addition, I am hoping to get feedback concerning a new water quality sensor that is being developed. The sensor consists of an electrode pair that measures pH, EC, and temperature. It is wireless and transmits its results either to an LCD display or a smart phone app. I know there are some similar products out there that have not been very successful, but I would really appreciate any feedback you can give on whether this product is something you would be interested in.
  1. 1. If you are interested, please let me know what appeals to you about this product and any additional thoughts you have concerning a product like this.
  2. 2. If you are not interested, please also let me know why and how the sensor could be modified to better fit your needs.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

EC refers to electrical conductivity. Sorry for the confusion!

- - - Updated - - -

I will definitely take a look in Pool School. Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have any thoughts around the wireless sensor that is being developed? The feedback I have received so far is most pool owners who test the water themselves prefer to use traditional methods because they know those methods are reliable, but I would appreciate any additional feedback!

I test for all the basic conditions; pH, Free Chlorine, Alkalinity, Hardness, and because work involves waste water management, I also test Turbidity and Conductivity and Dissolved Solids.

Pool School will tell you everything you need to know about how I test, what I'm testing for and how often.

The biggest problem/disadvantage with electronic based systems for chemical testing is the inherent need for calibration. This adds typically more deviation in accuracy and precision than desired and an additional cost and expertise to maintain proper function. Drop based testing for many of the tests relevant to pool chemistry and the levels required are simply more appropriately accurate and less expensive to carry out over the long term. Also, because there are many varied tests needed to maintain chemistry one sensor type is unlikely to cover all that's necessary. So... you add more sensors. Well, that's more calibration and more expertise to maintain. If cost and expertise are not a consideration, it sounds great. But if they are, as in the real world, it sounds terrible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.