Minimum Water Diving Envelope with board not centered properly.

We recently had a pool installed here in NJ. The pool is not a straight pool but a free form pool The diving board was installed and the Township failed us because the tip of the diving board was not centered exactly 5' on each side (left to right) at edge to the concrete walls. It is off slightly. I looked the engineering plans and the other tests with regard to installation have been met. There is more then 6' of clearance straight down to the deep end and to both sides of the walls and straight out. I have spent extensive time trying to find something in the regulations that indicate that the board must be centered precisely, but with no luck. The pool has a straight panel and a radius panel to the left and to the right so it is very hard to find the center. The mason is having trouble figuring out what to do and what went wrong. This is the first time he had this issue. The township is requiring to remove the board, cut the concrete, move the jig and pour new concrete to center the board. It is a Type I board and Pool with a minimum width of 10'. I have 10' and 2" clearance (tight spots). k

I know that people install boards all the time with kits and the 2 major companies sell them without any issues, etc. from the Townships.

Has any one heard about this before. There must be some room for error. As I mentioned previously all other conditions have been met from what I can gather.

Welcome to TFP!

I am not completely sure I understand the situation. You need to met the left and right hand side clearance requirements. If your space is limited so the clearances are very tight, then the board needs to be centered just right or you won't met the clearance requirements. If you have/had extra space, it wouldn't need to be centered.

The water envelope is telling you that for a Type I pool , Type A Diving Board 6 ' 0" the minimum widths at point A is 10' 0". So I can try to explain this better. The board is installed. The end of the board or tip of the board has the 10' 2", so this meets the minimum required. From the center of the board (if you are standing on it) to the left side reaching the concrete I have 4' 8" and to the right I have 5 ' 5". The township is claiming I need 5' exactly on the left side and right side to the concrete. If you are diving off the board and go straight down I meet the 72" clearance (used a wood) 1*3. If you go straight out to the shallow end I meet the clearance. If you jump off to the right or left off the center of the board I meet the clearance before hitting the walls. It is a free form liner pool with straight panels and sloped walls. So I am not understanding why the pool diving board has to be exactly 5 feet on each side. The pool again is not 100% symmetrical because of a straight panel. I am meeting all the tests that I read about on the standards board.

I do not see any left and right side clearance requirements, only a 10' minimum distance off the board. Supposedly the Jig was not set properly from the Mason. The Pool company claims that the mason understands. The mason states this is the 1st time this has happened. I would rather not have the mason cut the concrete if not necessary.

Welcome to the forum :wave: Wish you were here for anything but a code issue :(:(

I think I understand but maybe a photo or two might be helpful.

If the township wants a minimum of 5' on each side of the board and you have 4' 8" you have a problem.

With anything that deals with a government body there is almost always some way to get a variance. The big issue is they have a minimum and it's likely for safety and what mood the guy you need to get some relief from is in the day you ask if there is some way to allow you to be short that 4". Yes everything else is good according to you but all it takes is 1/32" of an inch on any one of the standards and you get "that" guy and you'll be cutting concrete and moving it.

I don't know what it looks like or how it's made but any chance if you are told it has to be moved that cutting and re-welding the steel base 4" off center would put you in compliance and be cheaper than tearing up the concrete ??
I'm assuming yours is like mine and is steel.

It is not that simple. The diving board has to be removed. The concrete has to be cut and the jig has to be moved. Then another electric inspection to make sure the bonding wire is there to the steel rebar. Then the concrete and then the board. I will try to attach a picture. no welding, just cutting. The mason will make the new concrete look like it is a base of the old, unfortunately we are dealing with stamped concrete and the color is never accurate. I will post a picture, etc. If you look at level, that is exactly 5 feet on each side. The right panel is not curved so it throws everything off. Although based on the engineering plan the center of the pool is exactly where the center of the board is. I have the 10 feet, left to right or right to left, just not a minimum of 5' on each side. Again I have not found any literature or information anywhere about the 5' only the 10' minimum width, which is troubling. Can not re-weld the base, has to be cut out. No other way around it. Jig is in the concrete with a 6" pour which is code.

- - - Updated - - -

CENTER.jpg

You need to have 5' on either side. Another way of saying that is you need a ten foot width center aligned to the center line of the board. That is a standard safety requirement.

The way these things work, all that matters is what the inspector says. I happen to agree with the inspector, but even if the inspector was just plain wrong there would be nothing you could do about it.

I want to also make sure everything is up to code for safety reasons. The Pool company was not very clear in there plans or in the communication. How they missed this one is beyond me. We are trying to get a straight answer for the alignment of the jig. Life could be worse. Thank you for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.