I opened my pool for the first time in 2years

Aha-just tried that and saw how it works. Never knew that part of it before. So it said 1 quart and 3 oz and I already added 16oz. I plan to check it again in another hour and see how it looks.

Thanks Northrn

Yes, from Pool Math...it will give you the ounces in the pink section and if you hover your mouse over the suggested amount of oz and then look at the top white field, it will break it down into quarts, cups, etc.

Water temp is the key to closing and opening to clear water.
Close it when the water temp is below 60. Low 50's would be great. Bring your FC up to shock level. You can use polyquat 60 algaecide, but it's not necessary.
Open before water temps get to 60.
There is a good article in pool school on closing inground pools. ?

Thanks I did read it.
Not sure I can hold out until water reaches that temp. It stays hot here in Georgia pretty late in the year. Lots of leaves are already falling and making lots of work

Water temp is the key to closing and opening to clear water.
Close it when the water temp is below 60. Low 50's would be great. Bring your FC up to shock level. You can use polyquat 60 algaecide, but it's not necessary.
Open before water temps get to 60.
There is a good article in pool school on closing inground pools. ��

I think he meant a leaf net like this...

last fall:

They come in all shapes and sizes for above ground and in ground pools. :) I love mine! Just left the pool open last winter with the leaf cover on. I still skim leaves off so they don't sit there for too long but it's much easier with the net on there!

Just converted a pool to TFP methods too and am in similar situation. Not sure how long it will take for pool temp to drop below 60. Did some research here on the forum and discovered Pool Skim. It was just installed on Friday but has already helped. Yesterday was breezy and lots of leaves falling but only had to do minimal hand skimming thanks to using the pool skim. No leaves sank to the bottom while it was running.
http://poolskimusa.com/

You can put the cover on and leave the pool running. Shouldn't have a real freeze threat there 'til after Thanksgiving. By December 1st, the water ought to be cool enough to close and the weather will be nice enough to work outside.

I've actually done just this up here in Northern VA. Can't fight the leaves after about October 15, so the cover's got to go on.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is an interesting thought but what about brushing it and adding bleach?

You can put the cover on and leave the pool running. Shouldn't have a real freeze threat there 'til after Thanksgiving. By December 1st, the water ought to be cool enough to close and the weather will be nice enough to work outside.

I've actually done just this up here in Northern VA. Can't fight the leaves after about October 15, so the cover's got to go on.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Really? Was it hard to install? As in did you do it?

Just converted a pool to TFP methods too and am in similar situation. Not sure how long it will take for pool temp to drop below 60. Did some research here on the forum and discovered Pool Skim. It was just installed on Friday but has already helped. Yesterday was breezy and lots of leaves falling but only had to do minimal hand skimming thanks to using the pool skim. No leaves sank to the bottom while it was running.
http://poolskimusa.com/

- - - Updated - - -

OH ok. A net for the whole pool huh? Not sure this is for me. My back yard gets full and it would be un sightly. I can hose off the lip lock

I think he meant a leaf net like this...

last fall:

They come in all shapes and sizes for above ground and in ground pools. :) I love mine! Just left the pool open last winter with the leaf cover on. I still skim leaves off so they don't sit there for too long but it's much easier with the net on there!

re: Pool Skim

Yes, we did it ourselves and it was not hard. It screws on to the return or to the Polaris line. The Pool Skim comes with a package of fittings so you can pick which ones you need to get it at the correct angle and depth. There is one straight piece of PVC that had to be cut to the right length. The fittings (other than the one that screws to the return) just slip together - once you have it put together the way you want it you just install 4 little screws they provide so that the fittings stay put.

What about adding bleach & brushing? Just lift up a corner of the cover and add bleach. Pump & filter were still running, so I wasn't worried about over-concentrated pockets of water. Didn't do any brushing, but I was planning on completely closing the pool when it got cool enough. I wasn't going to reopen until spring.

Cheers!

well I checked and my return line is not pulling water in. I am not sure if it was set up this way or if it is broken.
More importantly
I have, on two occasions in the last couple of days, found a bit of algae growth, sort of like along the seam of liner. It brushes away.
I did read up on it and it seems it is a lack of proper chlorine?

Well something is wrong-
I continue to see Algae in the pool. It brushes away and I backwash the filter and the next day it is back.
My numbers are
FC-1.5
CC-.5
Tc-2
CYA 25
TA-80
Ph looks normal-hard to tell with that little thing and not great eyes

Alright started SLAM this afternoon, numbers are:
FC-8
CC-.5
TA-100
CYA-40
PH-off the chart
Based on this I just added another 190 OZ bleach
I know my PH will not test right while I am in SLAM mode so I am not worrying about that right?
How about that TA-do I need to add acid to bring it down a bit?

This time around should go much quicker since you aren't dealing with a swamp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.