Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph drop

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph drop

I have always had to fight to lower my Ph from 77 down to 75 with about 7 ounces MA weekly. No biggie. Last Saturday I bought a solar cover, heated the pool from 75 to 85 and started covering the pool at night. (heater off) It has been maintaining temps from 84 to 90 on its own without the heater. Tested Ph yesterday and it was DOWN to 7.3 . It's NEVER went down. Always up. Nothing else has changed. Can the temp or the cover cause that change?

Donnie

CH 300
    ALK 90
    CYA 70
    FC 5.0
    SALT 3200
    8500 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Donnie,

Is your fill water hard and pH high? Our water here in Enid is extremely hard and alkaline. I'm always fighting pH rise. It's not uncommon for it to go from 7.2 to "off the scale" in three days.
    20K IG Fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sand, Hayward ColorLogic

3. Back To Top    #3
    No. Water at the tap is 7.5ish. It was just a supprise to see it move lower. It has never been below 7.5. Like I said....the only difference is the temp and the blanket.
    8500 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006

4. Back To Top    #4
    The cover could be preventing CO2 outgassing which can cause PH to rise. It also could possibly be why your PH is a bit lower than normal, as you are seeing the true PH drop from the added acid.