TV and Music Poolside -- Need help

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Hi all -- I am clueless on this type of stuff. I have a covered patio and an above ground pool close to it. I take the pool down 9 months of the year, so speaker solutions should take that into consideration if applicable. I have a TV (smart, but not all that new) mounted on the wall of the covered patio, which is visible from the pool. It has a dvd player hooked to it, as well as either Roku or Apple Tv (can do either). What I want is a way to put a dvd in, or stream Netflix, on the TV and have speakers out by the pool so it can play loudly there with little or no sound coming from the TV.

I bought a bluetooth speaker and played a movie on my MacBook Pro, mirrored it to the TV through Apple TV, and threw the sound from the computer to the bluetooth speaker. It worked, but was underwhelming, by a lot. Could not hear it at the far end of the pool and could not move the speaker to the middle of the pool b/c lost bluetooth signal.

I'd also like to have speakers on the patio for patio listening, but with the option of listening to music on the patio through some source other than the TV, while kids in the pool watch the movie and hear the TV by the pool.

Any suggestions? Cheaper the better. I'm guessing I'll have to hardwire the speakers given that the bluetooth was so miserable. I'm fine with that - less chance of it becoming obsolete, not supported, or requiring me to figure out how to update software (I generally buy a new computer to avoid doing that!). If you have a good idea for me, feel free to spell it out as though speaking to a five year old -- between my husband and me we might be able to execute your plan!

The pool sits on a 24 x 40 concrete pad - I am pretty sure we had them put some conduit for low voltage lighting (we have yet to install), so in theory we should be able to fish some wire through that (if we can find it). The covered patio also has a door so we can access the area above the ceiling if needed to run wires. We do have an outlet in the ceiling, but for some reason the electrician put it on the opposite corner of the front of the patio, as opposed to the front corner nearest the pool.

I am willing to spend a little money to do this "right," but I'm feeling a bit broke at the moment so don't go overboard. Also, I'm no audiophile - I just want to be able to hear the movie in the pool over splashing. The neighbors seem to live in our pool every moment we are in it so blasting them out is not really an issue :)

Thanks for any help. July 15 is my deadline - wish me luck!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.