Those step weights...

lulupalooza

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
Evans, GA
since they are the source of my alage problem that is starting to occur. Should I take them out and give them a good scrubbing? I added 7 (96oz) bottles of ultra bleach and poured 3 of them directly behind the step area. Would that be sufficent to kill the algae?

Last year (I think?) we had a discussion on Pool Forum about step weights. What we all figured out to be the better way is to fill 4 1 gallon bleach bottles with Sac crete (or similar) add water, let harden, tie a rope to the handle (for easier installation and removal) and use them to weigh down the steps :) Each bottle should weigh ~ 12.5 lbs and by securing the ropes somewhere at the top of the stairs, removal is very easy!

I would hope that 'nuking' the stair area would kill the algae in there :-D If not, with the jug method I mentioned, getting in there every few weeks would be easier and help to assure that the steps don't become a constant algae source :)

Thanks, I made them the way AnnaK mentioned. Actually its not very hard to remove them at all. I just send my 11 yr old in to do the honors. :lol: I am going to go ahead and remove them tomorrow morning and scrub them real good and the pool wall and floors. Hopefully this is take care of the problem before it gets out of control. I freak out when I see algae, because I know how fast it can overtake a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.