Hayward Super Pump

Jun 28, 2011
Hi everyone, I have a few questions about the used Hayward 3/4hp Super pump I just bought on craigslist to replace the 1.5hp doughboy pump.
My first question is are there advantages to running it on 120v vs' 220v?
Second question is Hayward seems to run hot (about 180F), is this normal?
Third both pumps are rated at about 11 amps but the doughboy that is using a GE motor has twice the hp?

Thank you in advance

240-volts is a little bit more efficient because there will be less loss due to lower amps going through the wires.

The temperature depends on how and where you are measuring. Internal or external? In the sun or shade? What ambient temperature? Since an internal temperature is difficult to get, I'm guessing that you are measuring surface temperature?
Assuming you are measuring surface temperature, in the shade, at air temperatures less than
90 F, I would give this as a rough guide:

Below 135 F, good
135 to 150 F, warm
Over 150 F, too hot.

The amps depend on the total HP, which is the rated HP x the Service Factor (S.F) and the voltage.

240-volts is a little bit more efficient because there will be less loss due to lower amps going through the wires.

The temperature depends on how and where you are measuring. Internal or external? In the sun or shade? What ambient temperature? Since an internal temperature is difficult to get, I'm guessing that you are measuring surface temperature?
Assuming you are measuring surface temperature, in the shade, at air temperatures less than
90 F, I would give this as a rough guide:

Below 135 F, good
135 to 150 F, warm
Over 150 F, too hot.

The amps depend on the total HP, which is the rated HP x the Service Factor (S.F) and the voltage.

Those were very good assumptions James. I was used a temp probe located just inside both vents the side the air was going in was about 150 to 155. the other side would max out the thermometer at 170, so I assumed it was probably running at 180 or something around there. Your guide is about what I was thinking in my head last night when I thought to myself "man this thing seems hot".

Thank You

A few suggestions:

You could get an inexpensive thermal IR temperature reader to scan the outer body for hot spots. However, if it seems excessively hot, it probably is.

You could measure the voltage under load to make sure that it is not too low.

You could measure the amps to make sure that they are not too high.

Also, make sure that the pump is wired for the supply voltage.

If the motor is not the original motor, it might be undersized for the impeller causing it to be overloaded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.