Jun 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello
I want to replace my current stay rite, 2HP pool pump with a vs model. Which one would work best? I was looking at the Pentair InteliFlo VS with timer.
Thanks for your feedback.

I am getting solar, so my electric rate will decrease because I will be making my own. A cost reduction recommendation was to go to a vs pump. I do not have a automation system, I do have a timer box.

If Tucson electric rates are similar to Phoenix, a two speed pump may make more sense and give you a quicker payback. We enjoy extremely low off peak electric rates In the Phoenix area, SRP is currently .07 per kWh off peak, on peak(1pm-8pm) is .21 per kWh, obviously not running the pool pump on peak. I recently read southern California rates are .31 per kWh, at that rate you would have to be insane not to have a VS pump.
The solar will likely not play into running your pool pump, you will probably run your pool pump after the sun goes down and get the electricity from the grid. You wont want to use the electricity from the panels when they are producing because you will want to feed that back into the grid and get the most credit then use cheap off peak power for the pool pump.
Not Sure how the solar pencils out in Tucson, it just doesnt currently make sense here, it would take me 12-15 years to break even. I am hopeful this will change because I like to be "Green"

Everything I read said the vs speed was the way to go, the two speed would not cut it. TEP off peak rates are .0518, I anticipate the solar to make my electric bill almost nothing, i should cove my solar purchase in 6 years. Electric rates are going to go up, that is a given. I would rather pay for solar and no pay for TEP.

The question is what type of variable speed motor would work best with my current system? The pentair vs with timer is about 850, my handy man says he can install it with no problem. Heck I can probably do it once I assembly all the necessary items. Is this the pump to go with or are there others that are equally effecient but lower priced?

With low electric rates you will never pay back the additional up front investment in a VS pump, especially one of the larger ones like the IntelliFlo. A two speed pump doesn't save quite as much electricity, but it does save a great deal, and it costs way less up front.

This post works up some examples that show this fairly clearly.

With low electric rates you will never pay back the additional up front investment in a VS pump, especially one of the larger ones like the IntelliFlo. A two speed pump doesn't save quite as much electricity, but it does save a great deal, and it costs way less up front.

This post works up some examples that show this fairly clearly.

This. I have done the math for my area(Phoenix) and with low off peak electricity rates it would take a very, very long time(10+ years) to recoup the high upfront cost of a good VS pump, I will recoup the cost of a two speed in about a year. I'm such a cheap skate I'm just waiting for my current pump to die before making the change, and then I just plan on changing out the motor and impeller/diffuser if necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.