Cloudy Water after Stain Remover

dcwest

Jun 27, 2014
stamford
We are new pool owners. We have a 30,000 gunite pool which we opened a month ago after buying our house. The water was a dark green and we managed to bring it back to a clear blue with the chemistry perfectly balanced. We had some pretty bad stains and on Tuesday, I used ascorbic acid followed by metal free to get rid of them as suggested by my local pool company. A day later most of the stains were gone and the water still looked great. However, since yesterday the water is cloudy and you can't see the bottom of the pool any more. I went to my local store and here are the reading.

FC 0
TAC 0
PH 7.2
TA 120
CH 170
CYA 0
Phosphates 300

The guy at the local pool store told me to shock it to clear the water. I don't want to do this, since I read that I should try to slowly bring the chlorine up by adding bleach. Any suggestions, not sure what to do at this point.

Welcome to TFP!

Having the water turn cloudy after a stain treatment is extremely common. The cloudiness could be from the sequestrant or it could be algae, and it isn't always easy to tell which is which. If it is from the equestrant it will clear up in one to three days, if it is from algae it will get worse and worse.

For the moment, I recommend assuming the cloudiness is from the sequestrant and start adding chlorine slowly and gradually.

You have a number of issues with your levels. Unfortunately, it is difficult to know if we should trust those readings at all or not. Pool stores frequently give wildly incorrect readings, though they can also be just fine. By far the best thing you could do would be to get your own top quality test kit.

If those test results are correct, your zero CYA is an issue.

By the by, Metal Free is not a sequestrant we recommend using. It is far less effective than the sequestrants we recommend. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Hopefully it's the sequestrant and not algae. We were fighting with algae for about a month and the water was so clean and clear before this stain removal process. I used Metal free because the pool store guy suggested that. I will try to bring the chlorine up and see how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.