Pebble Tech - stubborn algae stains

Jun 25, 2014
Capitola
Awesome site and I am hopeful that I can get a handle on my pool! 8 months ago we moved into a home with a beautiful pool. The first thing I did was discontinue the contract with the pool company (to save money). The pool was fine until this spring when we covered our pool with a solar pool cover. Within 2 weeks our water temp went from 65 F to 82 F. I failed to increase the filter run time and algae growth ensued.
I tried crude shocking once and lots of nylon brushing. I was able to rid 60% of the algae. The water is clear but their are persistent algae stains on the pebble tech surface that I can't get rid of. The stains look green.
I seem to find lots of white flakes (not sure if it is salt precipitating out or not) in the jacuzzi that have settled on the bottom. Maybe this is due to the high SWG setting and the high CH.
I received my TFTestKit50 today and immediately went to do the CYA test. It seems this is crucial. I was very bummed to see the result.
FC = 1.5
CC = 0.5
CYA = > 100
TA = 240
CH = 1150 (yes, I did this test more than once)
pH = 7.6

I have my SWG set at 90% and it is running 6 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening.
Salt content is 3300 ppm.
I have 18,000 gallon in-ground pool.
We are in a drought and I would like to be as responsible as I can with my water usage. I would like to avoid having to replace 1/3 of my water to bring down the CYA levels.
Will shocking the pool remove the stubborn algae stains? Will a ton of liquid chlorine be required with my high CYA?
Thanks in advance! I will continue combing through the threads on the site - you are all truly a great resource!

Welcome to TFP!

Both your CYA level and your CH level require either water replacement or a reverse osmosis treatment right away. To kill algae with CYA that high is nearly impossible, and given your CH and TA levels I expect you are already experiencing calcium scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.